Filming on FilmicPro (iphone)

It's been a very long time since I've made a short film, and I was looking into FilmicPro for iPhone, and the fact that Reed Morano shot a Magnetic Zeroes video with FilmicPro on the iPhone. The biggest challenge to making films are locations, I mean if you do it straight with paperwork, it's nearly impossible to achieve because you need filming insurance. So, I figure the best way is to shoot with an iphone, because it doesn't draw any attention. I want to really separate myself from narrative filmmaking and do more experimental work, I wanted to further explore David Lynch's structure from 'Inland Empire'.

Has anyone used FilmicPro? I figure I will shoot 720p, since I don't like very high definition. I want to make at least 10 short films this upcoming year on the iphone and refine my craft. I think the past mistakes I made, was that I was critical in my thinking, whereas filmmaking is more about feeling the image, so I will change my approach completely.

Here are my first two short films, which I shot with a dslr, they were great learning experiences. I think overall I only have about 28 hours of filming experience, butth is something I cannot let go!

https://vimeo.com/jthomsg

I'm pretty excited to get back it, I thought taking a long break would cure from this illness of cinema, but it just won't go away.

Edited by joshua gallegos

I downloaded Filmic Pro a month ago when I got my new LGV20. I then realized that my new phones camera had all the features of Filmic Pro built in so I got a refund on Filmic Pro. The LGV20 has selectable frame rates, UHD, ISO, shutter, white balance and rack focus. It's pretty sweet. And 23.98 seems to actually run at that which has long been an android issue.

Many new phones have evolved to where you no longer need that program.

Edited by Michael LaVoie

It's not specific to my phone. I think the camera 4 api in the new Android OS 7 (Nougat) should allow most phones built in cameras to do a lot of that. But yeah, maybe it's not inherent to the Iphone yet. The only reason I got the LGV20 was the removeable battery.

I wish the DJ Osmo software worked with it and I could use those gimbals. Sadly they haven't added support for it yet.

I think I'll use it to make silent short films, since audio will be an issue. But I like what I saw, considering it's a cheap method of filming. Though I wish I had more control of focal length lens, and the fact that you can only rate the iphone at 450 ASA, won't be good for night shooting, considering the shutter speed has to be at 1/48. But it's better than nothing, I suppose.

little test clip, didn't have much time today.

https://vimeo.com/195656618

I did notice the exposure changes, even though i had it locked down.

Edited by joshua gallegos

After using this app more, I don't understand why someone would want to film on an iphone, it's incredibly unorthodox, as you have no control of f/stop and it's a pain trying to lock down the exposure, plus you have to white balance everything! I'll just stick with SLR, because there's more control. I saw Reed Morano's video for Magnetic Zeroes again, and it seems she ran into a lot focus issues. Sometimes the highlights blowout by accident? I can see how this app could help a documentarist or someone capturing live footage for news, etc. I think Reed used some kind of adapter to use a different lens, plus she's already a bona fide cinematographer, so I think it's even harder to use an iphone for someone like me, who has virtually no experience. It's an impressive video, though. Loved the homage to 7th Seal.

I know it's a long road to improve, but I'm more than ready to walk it. To think I wasted a whole year not filming anything. :(

About actors working for free, as long as they're not SAG members, it's good. There's actually a pool of talented actors in Texas. Especially Austin-Houston-Dallas-San Antonio. The actors that worked for me for free now have representation (not because of me), but just giving an example how ambitious actors will start from the bottom and work their way up. I think I have a good eye for acting talent, and most of them have liked the stuff I've written. I do have very poor technical skills, something I will work on. But when I say 'silent films', I don't mean 14fps with actors emoting melodramatically.

• 3 months later...

Here is a video I shot on my Mom's Iphone 6s Plus with ProMovie Recorder ($2.99)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6lZskJ2nu9FVzU1dzh5VVZYNzg

I have found filming on iPhone is great, because you can practice your craft on the go.

Obviously Iphone's aren't Arri Alexas, but they fit in your pocket :D

Please message me when you shoot a film on Iphone, I would love to see it!