High Key hostpital lighting

kris brady

hi guys,

I'm shooting a dentist clinic for a hospital coming up next week. Its in a high rise building. Lots of south facing windows and all the walls are bright white inside . The main challenge is very limited space everywhere, lots of the rooms are super small and poky. I need a very clean bright look, nothing dramatic. Anyone got any thought/ideas for setups? ill probably blow out the windows with some diffusion on them. My main concern is working the space as I dont have the luxury of unlimited options. I dont think led panels overhead will beat the sun even indirect sunlight with diffusion..

looking forward to your thoughts!

thanks!!

post-71424-0-58189500-1481705911_thumb.png

post-71424-0-82257600-1481705945_thumb.png

Ive had the same thing on pharma corp shoots in Asia.. pokey rooms.. harsh sun light.. what I did/do.. say with your bottom pic.. if the sun is steaming in and casting some decent shadows.. play with the blinds maybe .. and shoot the wides as they are.. use that sun light...bounce some fill if needed.. but there will be so much bouncing about not really needed.. then pull the blinds or drape the most offending area.. and light the close up,s.. faces looking through test tubes.. into microscopes.. blah blah.. with a couple of battery powered Astra,s... they have alot more punch that the older 1x1,s... so you can bash them through a small pop out diffusion frame.. and be quick and no cables..

Or if your budget is bigger..and you have more time and a gaffer.. as Brian suggests .. drape the windows and make your own sun light with a couple of smaller HMI.s.. 575w can be plugged into the wall sockets .. but your compromised by not being able to have windows.. or lights ! in shot..

Just the way Ive found to work these locations over time.. others could have better ideas..

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, thanks. The hospital (dentist office) was mainly white, I chose an angle of the room and bounced an M18 into it. I played and shaped it until it filled the room evenly with a nice level of ambient light. Sometimes this provided a nice key (like on the woman above) then I created neg fill for a tiny bit of contrast. if it didnt create enough for a key like in the image in the below link of the doctor, I keyed above the ambient . I'm not super technical or full of theory so I dont always know whats 'technically' right or wrong. I just go with what looks good. Im trying to learn more technical from experience

The combination of alexa and cooke glass helped achieve this look and is my favorite combo for anything with a human element. I keyed with either a 1.2 PAR or an 800 joker. these and the 2.5 are the only 3 lights i had on set. lots of flags and rags and a slider and that was it.

heres a link to a couple more images http://imgur.com/a/GzrRZ

hope you like them

Kris