How did they do this? (Stripey-Bokeh)

Yash Lucid

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I agree with Adam and Phil, this is an artifact of horizontal streak filters like the Schneider True-Streak and Optefex Blue Streak. These filters have rows of thin vertical threads or colored glass rods inside which causes the light to spread across them.

You'll almost always see front-of-lens patterns of this kind reflected in bokeh (I guess technically it is optical vignetting). For example, Classic Softs and its variants will create bubble bokeh, and shooting through foliage can create rippled bokeh. Something to be aware of, as it can be distracting at times.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Ya know, after watching the original clip, I think it's just a scrim setup between the actor and the background.

You will notice, the background light and pattern are fixed to one another as the camera moves. This would be impossible to achieve with a filter in front of the glass as the pattern would be fixed to a certain part of the frame.

Just an idea!

• Premium Member

Nope, it's the filter. I own an Optefex 2mm Blue Streak, that's just what it does and why I almost never use it. Just lent it out to a friend in LA, but when it comes back in a few weeks I'll shoot a test to show you.

Not a fan of the stripey bokeh Sat? Is that because it draws attention to itself? I'm quite enamoured of it I have to say.

• Premium Member

Not a fan of the stripey bokeh Sat? Is that because it draws attention to itself? I'm quite enamoured of it I have to say.

Maybe it's just that I know what's causing it, so I find it really distracting. Sort of like the whole 'crystal in the front of the lens' trick, or anamorphic lens flare. Once you know about it, you start seeing it everywhere and you just want to push it all aside so you can see the image. To each their own though!

• Premium Member

Mark, do you remember when even non-cinematographers started noticing the distinctive Cooke bokeh shape a few years ago? It got to be super distracting, people were more interested in what was out of focus than in-focus. And then the 'Star Trek' reboot came out and lens flares became a meme. When everyone and their mom start noticing lens flares, I think it's time to put it away.

• Premium Member

I do, however I don't think we're ever going to see the masses move away from taking each and every 'trend' above and beyond its usefulness (to the point that it starts grating on us). Deep down, I think most people want to feel popular, or connected to popular things, that's why trends become trends I suppose.

It's not such a concern for me personally, because I have a ludicrously militant individualist thing going on, whereby I have an extreme compulsion to NOT do what everyone else is doing. So I'm sure that once everyone's moved back to the more formally composed, sticks/dolly/crane stuff that I'm all about at the moment - that's when I'll start discovering the joys of easy-rigged-T/1.3-creamy-natural-light-with-almost-nothing-in-focus-and-lens-flares-everywhere photography :D