Wanted: 16mm Flatbed Editor

Evan Samaras

Hi everyone!

I am hoping to find a flatbed editor within decent driving distance from NYC. Steenbeck? KEM? Moviola?

I passed up on a free one a few months ago due to lack of space. I have been beating myself up over it ever since.

I tried following up with a number of schools in the area. They either don't have any, or are unwilling to let them go.

I eagerly wait to see if anything is available! Thank you all!

• 8 months later...

Have you tried Dwight at cutfilm.com? Cotuit, MA. No idea of the distances but he lists Steenbecks for hire, or might know where to find one. Bear in mind they make about $5-7000 in good condition. The S16 versions are much rarer- the conversion used to be fairly straightforward and if anyone had the parts it would be Dwight.

Shame I can't help you but London is a bit far. Although I have just come back from a job in Scotland, 1200 mile round trip.

Good luck.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

I am still looking for one. Preferably one I can use or have adapted to use with S16. One with an interlock port would be nice, but not necessary at the moment. Thank you!

Man if you were local, I'd send you my KEM. It needs some work, but I could do it for a few hundred bux and give you the machine for free. I wanted to keep it, but I got a beautiful 35mm machine that I'm going to use instead.

Mark,

Yes, cutfilm does want 5-7k as you mentioned. Unfortunately that is more than I can afford to spend. I also know that they sometimes come up for next to nothing, or even as Tyler was kind enough to offer, basically free!

Tyler,

Sure wish I lived closer by. Thank you, and maybe Ill have to take you up on that if Im nearby one day haha.

Rudy,

Correct me if Im wrong, but the Minnette is the small tabletop viewer/editor? If so, that is not what Im looking for.

A nice little 4 plate editor would fit nicely into my place =} as Im sure might be the preference of others as well

The ones given away are usually in poor condition, needing timing belts (£200/set for a 4-plate- the originals weren't polyurethane so they turn to mush) or with a couple of the common faults that I've identified caused by neglect. They also have an alarming tendency to catch fire.

Naturally I've cured mine of all these.

Yes, the Minette is a table-top job.

Hi everyone!

I am hoping to find a flatbed editor within decent driving distance from NYC. Steenbeck? KEM? Moviola?

I passed up on a free one a few months ago due to lack of space. I have been beating myself up over it ever since.

I tried following up with a number of schools in the area. They either don't have any, or are unwilling to let them go.

I eagerly wait to see if anything is available! Thank you all!

Have you tried Mono No Aware in Brooklyn? They have a regular 16 flatbed available at an hourly rate.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron Martin @ OH

Mark,

I understand what you are saying, and was not expecting a free editor in perfect working order. But I hoped one needing some servicing. Would be cheaper than 5-7k

Aaron,

Thank you, I have considered renting at Mono no aware. There is actually another lab even closer to my home in Queens that rents out units. I believe most of the renting is done while used at their locations. As I work late hours, I was hoping to have one readily accessible in my home at any hour I may schedule myself for a session =}

• 3 weeks later...

Still staying optimistic Gregg!

That same week one went up on Craigslist for free. I found the ad 2 hours after posted, but it was claimed quicker than that apparently!

Still searching, in case anyone has one they are ready to part with =}

• 2 months later...

Saw this on the FrameWorks mailing list:

I've got to pare down my studio to make room for new projects.

Tire kickers welcome! 'Just browsing' totally ok! Bad trades encouraged! Low Ballers forced to splice loops, though.

I've got the next two weeks to start moving things around, so if you're in NYC and want to peruse my work hovel, come on down. I'll ship film outta town, but much prefer to do it in person, as I can stuff your pockets with brown 16mm leader and feel like I'm making a dent in the pile. Also pricing everything would just take too long and I'm not Type A.

I've got the following for sale:

EQUIP:

Auricon cm-71 with battery dummy installed (plugs into wall).

Eiki SSL and SL projectors

Save me from all these rewinds

odds and ends arri and bolex accessories

Reels (plastic, metal, splits) to your hearts content

MAYBE a steenbeck 6 plate with digital counter? Release me from my 300 pound prison.

Appleboxes and production garbage galore

Boxes of bulbs.

FILM:

2253 ekta 450ft 7 boxes of 5 rolls each (35 rolls total)

7239 EKTA 400' 2 rolls

7274 VISION 200t 400' 3 rolls

7277 VISION 500t 400' 2 rolls

7293 EXR 200T 400' 4 rolls

7297 400' 1 roll

7298 EXR 500t 400' 1 roll

7363 HICON 400' 1 roll

7620 VISION2 500t 400' 3 rolls

7266 TRI-X 100' 1 box

7276 PLUS X 100' 1 box

FANCY:

Optar PL mount t1.3 illumina prime s16 set (9, 12, 16, 25)

Optex PL to PL 2x s16 extender

Elite 7mm t1.3 s16 ultrawide prime

an old eclair ACL t shirt that's mostly a rag

reach me either at the office (844-shoot-16) and leave a message or email me directly to set up a time to see equipment. Very small but guaranteed portion of proceeds to go towards an open source optical printer project, as I can't keep my k104 working anyways.

-mike

--

Michael Hernandez-Stern

16by40.com

1-844-SHOOT-16

FrameWorks mailing list

FrameWorks@jonasmekasfilms.com

https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/listinfo/frameworks