Y8 camera: C-mount lenses, barrel diameter, flange protrusion

David Sekanina

Another camera would be fantastic!

I'd like to mention that I have several lenses from my Baulieus but none will fit a a camera with a front protrusion, like a front rotating mirror, due to the Beaulieu side tubes. They can be removed but the lens gears are then exposed, not ideal.

Rafael it's very easy use some gaffer tape to cover were the lens gears are exposed ,

Being not the only one would give you some support?

As with other suggestions from you they are plain bad advice and dangerous to other people's gear and media.

Then you should take a look at what Pro 8 mm have done with there Beaulieu 4008 cameras & Lens if it's bad advice ,

Still after all these years no problem and it works fine .

Hi David,

I would suggest you do more research and consider the use of an interchangeable mount module. A removable square module that could be screwed in with four simple screws. For example, you could design a C-mount, Pl, and MFT (Micro Four Thirds) mounts modules. There would be different options and those who buy the camera. We, as I would be one of the first to buy one of these cameras as I did with the Logmar, could choose what mount we want and we could also purchase the other modules for other lenses if they we wish. To get sold on a single mount would not be the best option in my humble opinion. And of course, make it silent please. So far, it has been the major draw back for both, the Logmar and the Kodak cameras alike. A 200ft and even 400ft film magazine would also be necessary for professional work. Keep up with the good work.

• Premium Member

Thanks everybody for their input.

After modifying the CAD assembly using an M-mount, the camera grew quite in size - gone was the idea of a tiny mechanical marvel :) (screenshot)

So I decided to bite the bullet and go with a hard front at 36mm to 40mm so any mount with a larger FFD (Canon EF 44mm, Nikon F 46.5mm, Leica R 47mm, Arri PL 52mm) can sit on that hard front.

C-mount therefore is not an option anymore

post-71873-0-77342900-1485598940_thumb.jpg

Guest Glenn Brady

As Dom Jaeger wrote, ". . . the best options really are in C-mount". I could see how an interchangeable mount with a 36mm to 40mm FFD would be attractive for a larger format, but this is a Super 8 camera, isn't it? Virtually all of my wide angle lenses wouldn't fit and there are no Canon EF, Nikon F, Leica R, and Arri PL lenses of which I'm aware that would provide comparable fields of view.

• Premium Member

the opening on the hard front is large enough so I could probably create an C-mount adapter that protrudes inwards. It'll look rather weird :)

EDIT: and there are a few ultra wide 16mm PL lenses. I know of: a 6mm Zeiss and an Optex 5.5mm

Edited by David Sekanina

Guest Glenn Brady

The wide angle C-mount lenses that I've got for my existing cameras include a 1.9mm, 2.5mm, and 3.5mm. All provide a wider field of view than the Zeiss and Optex lenses you mention. Admittedly, the C-mount is less robust than the other options mentioned, but heavy lenses can be mounted using rod supports. It seems a pity that wide angle capability has to be sacrificed in order to adapt the design to lenses intended for larger formats (some much larger).

Thanks everybody for their input.

After modifying the CAD assembly using an M-mount, the camera grew quite in size - gone was the idea of a tiny mechanical marvel :) (screenshot)

So I decided to bite the bullet and go with a hard front at 36mm to 40mm so any mount with a larger FFD (Canon EF 44mm, Nikon F 46.5mm, Leica R 47mm, Arri PL 52mm) can sit on that hard front.

attachicon.gifC_VS_M_MOUNT.JPG

That is saying goodbye to really short focal length lenses which you need on Super-8. Is there any suitable 10mm (1.5xtele) for these bayonets? Let alone 6mm (standard like) or wide-angles?

People need short focal lengths. Don't bother with long lenses, barely anyone uses Super-8 for wildlife registration :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

Well I guess you've independently rediscovered why no-one has ever made a reflex spinning mirror C-mount camera: just not enough room. Eclair used a reciprocating sort of windscreen wiper mirror with a focal plane shutter, Beaulieu and Nizo a sliding 'guillotine' mirror/shutter, Pathe and others a pellicle, Bolex a prism. The Pentaflex 8 I mentioned before used a spinning mirror but had to have its own lenses with a deeper flange depth than C-mount.

There are some very wide angle PL or PL convertible lenses designed for 16mm out there: 6mm Century, 4 and 5.5mm Optex, 6mm Ultra T, 5.9mm Angenieux, 5.7mm Kinoptik, 6mm Cooke SK4, 6mm Zeiss Ultra, and possibly others I'm unaware of. Some of these are very high end, expensive lenses however, generally rental items.

Beyond that there are some S16 zooms that go quite wide - Canon 6.6-66 and 7-63 and Angenieux 7-81 come to mind, but again these aren't cheap to buy.

I really don't think there'd be a market for a Super 8 camera that only took full frame stills lenses, it just doesn't make sense. I would suggest coming up with a different reflex viewing system so that C-mount remains an option. Unless it's all just a diverting design exercise, in which case it doesn't matter. :)

Edited by Dom Jaeger

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hello

I try to find bullet connectors ("banana pins") male, ideally surface mount for the Sony BP-U30 battery. They're aprox. 2.6mm in diameter and 8mm long. I can't find any on Digikey, Mouser, Distrelec, Hobbyking nor Alibaba. Does anybody know a source for these? Thank you in advance.

post-71873-0-25824900-1487943770_thumb.jpg

post-71873-0-03024300-1487943788_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hello Moises,

Slight delay, as won't start CNC machining the almost 50 parts before May, because I'll be in Asia for two weeks. But that's just the first machined prototype of probably 4-5 prototype iterations, each one taking 4-6 weeks.

If the last prototype performs like I planned, only then will I consider manufacturing a limited edition of just 8 cameras.

Best

David

• 9 months later...

Great to see your posting, David!

I do not have an answer to your question, However, your CAD appears to display a PL Mount cut out. Is this correct? Are you attempting to accommodate the widest angle PL mount lens possible in your design regarding the farthest rear element?

Have you considered the cheaper R16 format Angenieux 5.9mm in Arriflex Bayonet in your testing? It might be one of the cheaper ultrawide R16 format lens available at a fair price for your targeted users. Not quite the same idea but I utilize the 5.9mm in conjunction with a Cameflex/Bolex Bayonet adapter with my Bolex H16/H8 ultrawide screen hybrid camera which utilizes the full 16mm width of the R8 film format (special R16 perfs) with the classic 8mm pulldown. In other words I shoot the optical center of standard 16mm optics such as the Angenieux 5.9mm, e.g.

But note that there will a slight magnification using R16 optics with a Super 8 camera. And i would be fine with that as a potential user of your camera. How goes your prototype testing?

Edited by Nicholas Kovats

Those are potentially very lucky rental houses. A new compact 16mm camera as per your proposed Y16 project is a fantastic idea. Is your Jan 21 posting in fact a snapshot of the Y16 cam? Are your designing interoperability between Y8 and Y18 camera projects? e.g. optical viewfinder?

• 6 months later...