Does anyone here sell stock video?

Yash Lucid

If so, would like to find out more...specifically, which forum I can discuss other questions.

I'm primarily intrigued to know how it works.

That is, if there is a video brief on getty for example, how you go about getting the process started. Risk vs reward.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

I sell some leftover documentary footage on Shutterstock, mainly nature shots like landscapes and such. I also tried to register to istockphoto couple of years ago but they had a very awkward registration process which required samples of the types of clips I would like to sell via them, and the service rejected literally all my sample clips saying that "we already have this type of material" ("not interested about your stuff") which was very frustrating because the idea of the samples was to just evaluate the technical quality of my footage, not the content/subject matter :ph34r: Shutterstock had better royalties percentage at the time so I just started to use their service and did not bother with the istockphoto <_<

they may have changed their service though because this was couple of years ago so you may see if they have made it easier.

I think the Business Practices -forum is about right for this type of thread.

Shutterstock has been very good for my needs and it was very easy to start and to add large amounts of clips per batch.

If you want to create material specifically for stock footage use then you need to investigate more about which type of footage sell best ( high quality aerial and slow mo shots for example) , you need to sell a clip multiple times if you want to specifically create stock footage from the start and not to just dump the leftover material from various completed projects to the stock ;)

• Upvote 1

I've tried to take on some of the briefs, but not many yet, mostly because the majority of them require being in other parts of the world, and I didn't have the budget for travel.

I have a collection on Nimia (https://app.nimia.com/profile/WhiteCrane/videos/?page=1&limit=20) that I'm gradually growing, but I haven't made any sales yet. I don't think that I'm doing a good job yet of making my stock collection visible though.

but I haven't made any sales yet. I don't think that I'm doing a good job yet of making my stock collection visible though.

Put it on Youtube in garbage quality with watermarks and have a buy link in the description. I know I personally do the majority of my stock video/audio searching on that site, as do many others without the budget to go out and shoot things themselves.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

Put it on Youtube in garbage quality with watermarks and have a buy link in the description. I know I personally do the majority of my stock video/audio searching on that site, as do many others without the budget to go out and shoot things themselves.

That sounds like a very good idea. I'm going to start doing that.

I get more stock enquiries based on my youtube footage.

• 3 weeks later...

Not long ago, I sold one video through Shutterstock (my first video sale there.) Ive got a bit over 30 videos and 123 photos on SS so a very small portfolio. A lot of contributors on SS say that video sales are generally very infrequent compared to still photo sales. That's been my experience too. I refuse to sell videos on iStockphoto because they only pay a few dollars for HD clips (and pay exactly the same amount for 4k clips.)

Ive had a few requests for my footage from TV shows etc through youtube but they generally want my content for free or are only prepared to pay me peanuts.

Edited by Patrick Cooper