Recording audio with 16mm camera and easy sync

Jacek Zagaja

I see two solutions:

1) making trigger for popular recorders (hack their remote controlers) or make audio app for smartphone

2) use Time Code that is exposed in film (Aaton XTR) but how to read TC from audio file from TC enabled recorders?

any ideas?

We have been one of the pioneers for the Aatoncode system.

It used to be visible, man-readable numbers plus barcodes on film and man-readable numbers printed on white SEPMAG stock. It then evolved to telecine via Keylink putting man-readable numbers in the image plus machine readable timecode in 3-line modified VITC on Betacam SP or Digital.

Since everyone is now receiving rushes on fileformats, either we sync the timecoded audio to the man-readable audiotimecode on the picture (in case of rushes), or some users use an timecoded clapperboard.

The good old clapperboard still works with a crystal controlled camera. A digital audio recorder should be sufficiently stable to allow lip-sync with the clapperboard.

I think you can find a good selfblimped camera with crystal controlled motor for less than doing a DIY hack on a noisy old camera.

The Cantar audio files will have the Aatoncode embedded, sync should be easy then.

Anyway, I suggest you do a test before shooting anything else. Remember that you need to set the proper ISO speed on the camera in order to have the correct Aatoncode exposure on the negative, even if you don't use the internal lightmeter.