NIZO 6080 and sound.

Guest Simon Waldron

Guest lonelyleap

just paid fortune to get my nizo 6080 fixed and am dying to shoot some shorts i have scripted all in super 8mm. Now i really want to get my head around using sound element and the best ways of syncing sound to image. Obviously no longer are the days of sound film for super 8 mm but can i use the sound utility on the nizo 6080 and if so how? would love someone to give me some advice on best avenues to go along instead of thumbling around in the dark for a good while.

thankyou for anything

simon w

Just completely ignore the fact your camera has any sound functions at all, and consider it a silent camera.

Now you need to get equipment to record your dialog; a microphone, a boom pole (you can make one out of a paint pole from a hardware store if you're really on a budget), a recording device, and possibly a small mixer (if you want more control while you're recording... I use one)

There are lots of decent mics that you can get for under around $300-ish dollars. I have an Audio Technica that's worked great for me. Get a shotgun mic, not a regular mic.

Recording device: Get something that has a stable run, meaning NO ANALOG RECORDERS, unless it's something like an older Nagra that has crystal sync.

Your choices are DAT, CD recorders, MiniDisk (this is what I use).

The Minidisc recorders are great, but falling out of favor with the general public because of MP3 recorders (which is bizarre, since MP3 sounds worse...)

You record your audio when you're filming, but your camera & audio recording device are not connected in any way.

You shoot your film, have it transferred to video (preferrably a digital format) digitize that into your computer, digitize your audio into your computer, and THIS is when you sync them up, using editing software, like Adobe Premier, Sony Vegas Video, Final Cut Pro (if you have a Mac) and lots of other lower end editing software.

Hope this helps.

Matt Pacini

The above is good advice. However, if you choose to shoot any extended scenes with dialogue, you will also need a crystal sync camera. This feature will allow the camera to run without variation (as the digital recorders do).

With the crystal and the other items mentioned above you will be prepared to shoot in almost any situation.

Guest lonelyleap
Simon, I've got a 6080 I need fixed.  Where did you get your camera repaired and how much did it cost?  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks!

Thanks for the response, i'm kind of used to no one replying to my questions so i was very glad for the advice, i will take heed.

as for repairs, yes yes very tricky business and i feel tentative about aiding anyone along that very precarious road , my wallet is still hurting.

but here goes...ok. now my camera is arriving back tomorrow so i am yet to confirm the full reparation of my camera, notice my extreme caution here. The man you want to speak to about nizo repairs is:

Kurt Schacherl

Scharcherl kino-video technik

Anzengruber str 1

82140 Olching

bei Munchen

germany

00 49 (0) 8142 12262

scharcherl-technik@t-online.de

I got this recommendation off of the 8 mm film meta directory, which basically says that he's the man, very impressive, bought up all spare nizo parts when factory and company closed down. Now the problem is he doesn't speak so much english! My advice to you is get a grip ith what is wrong with your camera first, and try your best to get the most acurate quote on phone before you send it - and hold him to it if you can. problem is he really has the corner on the whole market, and he is a nice guy and maybe i'm just whinning because i am a cheapo, but hey soon i'll have my nizo back with 6 months gurantee also on repairs. You get the feeling he and his team are effecient and very professional. ok so lastly to price: for a reparation of lightmeter, new circuit board and some re justifying of teh film transporter it cost 419 ? = £288 !!! yes i know its alot but don't nobody send me any posts saying what i dope i am and how i got ripped, please, pretty please.

hope that helps

simon w

Guest lonelyleap

thanks matt for your comments. If i could take it on one step further, i have the use of a sennheiser mkh60 but when i tried using it with md, the minidisc didn't seem to pick up the recording very well. i Had a phantom power supply!! could this be because the mindisc player is an old old old sony one, do i need a pretty good md player? i spoke to an old sound guy on the phone who nearly had a hernia after i told him i was recording from this mic to md, he said after 30 years of being in sound business that that kinda made him want to be sick!!!

getting there slowly

simon w

You're going to need a small mixer to boost the signal then. The MD recorder is expecting a line level, which is quite a bit hotter than what's coming off the mic (the phantom power has nothing to do with this).

I have a nifty little Fostex batery powered mixer with built-in compressor, but look around & you will find one.

MD is more than good enough for dialog, and I've recorded quite a bit of foley & FX with mine.

By the way, the Nizo 6080 is so quiet you won't need a barney.

Matt Pacini