Black smudge on 4008

Steve Williams

I just got my 4008 today, and man, what a camera.... That being said - i noticed a discrepancy when I was overlooking the camera for the first time. There seems to be a noticeable black smudge in the middle of the camera somewhere. At first I though it might have been on the mirror, but after some troubleshooting, i'm not so sure. If I turn the camera and look through the lens I can see the rather large black smudge very easily. However when I block the viewfinder with my hand, shine a light through the gate while running the camera, I don't seem to notice the smudge at all (until I move my hand away from the viewfinder). I have no idea where the image is routed in these cameras, but it seems to be an issue with the imaging to the viewfinder only. It's not on the ground glass and it's not on the viewfinder itself. Does anyone have any insight onto this....

Steve

I just got my 4008 today, and man, what a camera.... That being said - i noticed a discrepancy when I was overlooking the camera for the first time. There seems to be a noticeable black smudge in the middle of the camera somewhere. At first I though it might have been on the mirror, but after some troubleshooting, i'm not so sure. If I turn the camera and look through the lens I can see the rather large black smudge very easily. However when I block the viewfinder with my hand, shine a light through the gate while running the camera, I don't seem to notice the smudge at all (until I move my hand away from the viewfinder). I have no idea where the image is routed in these cameras, but it seems to be an issue with the imaging to the viewfinder only. It's not on the ground glass and it's not on the viewfinder itself. Does anyone have any insight onto this....

Steve

Take off the lens and directly inspect the mirror visually (screw out the trigger button assembly and then screw off the lens)

don't touch the mirror as it is surface metalized. Looking sideways at an angle you can also check the groundglass. Swing it in and out.

thank you guys for the reply... I did my best to clean the mirror yesterday with a lens cloth. I hope that I didn't damage it in anyway. I rushed a roll of 50D out to the lab today to see if the camera will work without discrepancies for future projects.

Steve