CineAsst video tap remove and install Arriflex SR II

J. Winfield Heckert

I have a CineAsst color video tap. It mounts where the top carrying handle goes on the SR. I'd like to remove it and use the standard top handle but on rare occasions where the camera is operated remotely or clients want to see what I'm shooting i'd like to reattach it. I cant find a manual online or anything. Is it user serviceable or should this be handled by a professional?

• Premium Member

Should be pretty straightforward, but I'm not familiar with that tap. Got any pictures?

SR3s use a tap on the top that fits into the carry handle or is integrated into it, with a splitting prism below that diverts a certain percentage of light to the split. If you want to set the camera up with no split you can swap prisms to have all the light going to the viewfinder.

I haven't seen a top mounted split on an SR2 except for ones with a Denz front, which has the split mounted forward of the carrying handle.

• Premium Member

Hmm, never seen one of those. Maybe someone else has experience with one.

I would guess that there's a split prism beneath the unit that diverts some light from the ground glass to the tap, and some to the viewfinder. It's not something I've seen on an SR2, maybe it's a custom conversion.

I don't think you'll do any damage removing the 4 screws holding it on (seen in the second photo above) to see what's underneath. You can probably then fit a standard carry handle on there if the prism doesn't protrude too much.

I've never seen one like it either. It does seem to be well made. It allows the viewfinder to swing to the other side. It was made by a company in Toronto Canada by the name of CineAsst. They also serviced the camera it came on. They don't seem to have a website anymore. I'll try to contact Bernie at Super16 he's in upstate New York not far from Toronto Canada.

• Premium Member

Nice find.

So it uses what looks like a partial mirror at the top of the viewfinder prism to allow some light through to the tap and some to be reflected through to the viewfinder.

If you could replace the partial mirror with a straight mirror you would get a brighter viewfinder image, but it's not essential, and probably tricky to find something that fits.

You should be able to just remove the video assist unit and attach a standard carry handle.

You'd need to cover the hole in the top to prevent a light leak, and might need shorter screws for the handle.