Your favourite Black and White films?

Mark Kenfield

Grapes of Wrath was one of my first B&W experiences. Will always love that film. And if I'm talking about a Gregg Toland shot film I might as well throw in Wuthering Heights & Citizen Kane.

More recent B&W pictures, I'd say Nolan's, Following. Nebraska is also a good film.

Recently I watched Blue Jay on Netflix. Such a great watch. Good use of B&W but also a very well told story.

Eraserhead

The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari

Vampyr

Nosferatu

Der Golem

The Silence

The Seventh Seal

Persona

Hour of the Wolf

Winter Light

Through a glass darkly

Love is colder than death

La Jette

Probably lots more I can't think of right now...

Freya

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Rumble Fish was also great.. maybe not count as it had some colored fish at the end..

I was so pumped for Rumble Fish, but couldn't get more than 30 minutes through it before I gave up. I think I've got something against 50s Americana - I couldn't make it past the first half hour of American Graffiti either.

• Premium Member

Stills would be glorious though! (thanks for the suggestion Gregg).

I'm particularly keen on dark, gritty looking ones. And ones that made good use of B&W contrast filters. Anything that looks like Tri-X would be mint.

Stills would be glorious though! (thanks for the suggestion Gregg).

I'm particularly keen on dark, gritty looking ones. And ones that made good use of B&W contrast filters. Anything that looks like Tri-X would be mint.

If you are looking for grit, and B&W then I'd point you to say Val Lewton produced films, such as "Cat People"(1942)

You can also take a gander at Julius Dassin's pre exile works in the late forties, with "Naked City"(1948) and for his exile works, "Rififi"(1955).

My personal favorite being "Ποτέ την Κυριακή"(1960 aka "Never on a Sunday") (if ever I was going to be a youthful fan/groupie... it would have been for Melina Mercouri...)

Another gritty film would be "Psycho"(1960). Ok... maybe not as 'gritty' as some of the others...

Edited by John E Clark

• Premium Member

Some of the old movies that we think of as being high-contrast b&w over the decades only look that way because they were duped many generations or transferred to video from a print, and now if they get restored from the original negative, look much lower in contrast.

Anyway, the b&w movies shot by Stanley Cortez such as "Night of the Hunter", "Shock Corridor", and "The Naked Kiss" have a pretty contrasty lighting style.

While I have a bunch of black&white fans in one place; Do you feel any aspects or techniques in cinematography had been lost with the introduction of color?

For example I once heard someone say horror movies are scarier in black and white but I never really dug for their reason.

• Premium Member

"Pi" - I think that was actually shot in Tri-X reversal.

If you are looking for grit, and B&W then I'd point you to say Val Lewton produced films, such as "Cat People"(1942)

You can also take a gander at Julius Dassin's pre exile works in the late forties, with "Naked City"(1948) and for his exile works, "Rififi"(1955).

My personal favorite being "Ποτέ την Κυριακή"(1960 aka "Never on a Sunday") (if ever I was going to be a youthful fan/groupie... it would have been for Melina Mercouri...)

Another gritty film would be "Psycho"(1960). Ok... maybe not as 'gritty' as some of the others...

Brilliant! Thank you guys (and Freya!), you're a treasure trove :)

• Upvote 1

Here my favorites (many of them were still mentioned):

The cabinett of Dr. Caligari (Das Kabinett des Dr. Caligari) DE 1919 Robert Wiene, DP Willy Hameister

Nosferatu (Nosferatu – Eine Symphonie des Grauens) DE 1922 Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, DP Fritz A. Wagner

The Last Laugh (Der letzte Mann) DE 1924 Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, DP Karl Freund, Robert Baberske

Faust (Faust – Eine deutsche Volkssage) DE 1926 Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, DP Carl Hoffmann

Metropolis DE 1927 Fritz Lang DP Karl Freund, Günther Rittau

Man with a Movie Camera (Celovek S Kinoapparatom) SU 1929 Dsiga Vertov, DP Michail Kaufman

M (M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder) DE 1931 Fritz Lang, DP Fritz Arno Wagner

La Grande Illusion FR 1937 Jean Renoir, DP Christian Matras, Claude Renoir

Daybreak (Le jour se lève) FR 1939 Marcel Carné, DP Curt Courant

The Maltese Falcon US 1941 John Huston, DP Arthur Edeson

Citizen Kane US 1941 Orson Welles, DP Gregg Toland

Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bête) FR 1946 Jean Cocteau, DP Henri Alekan

The Lady from Shanghai US 1947 Orson Welles DP, Charles Lawton Jr.

Bicycle Thieves (Ladri di Biciclette) IT Vittorio De Sica, DP Carlo Montuori

The Third Man GB 1950 Carol Reed, DP Robert Krasker

Rashomon JP 1950 Akira Kurosawa, DP Kazuo Miyagawa

Seven Samurai (Shichinin no Samurai) JP 1953 Akira Kurosawa, DP Asaichi Nakaie

The Seventh Seal (Det Sjunde Inseglet) Schweden 1956 Ingmar Bergman, DP Gunnar Fischer

Touch of Evil US 1958 Orson Welles, DP Russell Metty

The Devil`s Commandment aka Lust of Vampire (I Vampiri) IT 1958 Riccardo Freda, Mario Bava, DP Mario Bava

Breathless (A Boute de Souffle) FR 1960 Jean-Luc Godard, DP Raoul Coutard

Black Sunday – Waking the Undead aka The Mask of Satan (La maschera del demonio) IT 1960 Mario Bava, DP Mario Bava

La Notte IT/FR 1961 Michelangelo Antonioni, DP Gianni Di Venanzo

The Hustler US 1961 Robert Rossen, DP Eugen Schüfftan

Yojimbo JP 1961 Akira Kurosawa, DP Kazuo Miyakawa

Winter Light (Nattvardsgästerna) SE 1961 Ingmar Bergman, DP Sven Nykvist

The Trial (Le procès) FR/IT/DE 1962 Orson Welles, DP Edmond Richard

The Silence (Tystnaden) SE 1963 Ingmar Bergman, DP Sven Nykvist

Il Demonio, IT/FR 1963, Brunello Rondi, DP Carlo Bellero

Persona SE 1966 Ingmar Bergman, DP Sven Nykvist

Raging Bull US 1980 Martin Scorsese, DP Michael Chapman

Down By Law US/DE 1986 Jim Jarmusch, DP Robby Müller

Dead Man US/JP/DE 1995 Jim Jarmusch, DP Robby Müller

La Haine FR 1995 Mathieu Kassovitz, DP Pierre Aïm

Pi US 1998 Darren Aronofsky, DP Matthew Libatique

Home From Home (Die andere Heimat – Chronik einer Sehnsucht) DE/FR 2013 Edgar Reitz, DP Gernot Roll