Share your still photography

Satsuki Murashige

selection-from-the-americans-60-years-af

Candid @ GOTJ Ohio concert.

Shot there for 3 years, just bot a $200 ticket and went in. One year they broke the flash off the camera at the hot shoe. But the writing was on the wall, so decided that being in my mid 60's no use pushing my luck any further.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

l1003119-v19-mr.jpg

Another one from GOTJ Ohio. Interesting people there, but you need a bodyguard or have to enjoy fighting. And at the least your gear gets ruined. You get pelted with all sort of soda and crap.

Single image HDR.

Cool thread! I find myself favoring square aspect stills as well. Don't know why. This was a 300 ft black spire (no one knows what it's made out of) that sticks up out of the ocean in Antarctica. Shot from about 2 miles away on a GH5 with a 100mm lens.

nytvKz4.jpg

Edited by Frank Hegyi

• 1 month later...

post-72141-0-83568800-1536356827_thumb.jpg

This is a toughie. You get one chance, for one shot, once a year at Easter to get the Bishop.

Lots of things have to be in line and make it an iffy shot. First year I did it I wore a hoody with wrist watch...too much bulky distraction. Another year hands were too high, another year too low, another year Bishop quit before I got up there, another year Bishop put his hand in mine and the movement looked bad. This year's try was OK, maybe it would have had more separation in color. But all I had was an old BW Leica Monochrom, so made the most of it. Also got kids big head in it which does nothing for the pix.

Should I mention it...photo is candid. Guess I should, people always ask me if my stuff is posed. They can't figure people shoot this kinda stuff without permission...and more important I get it!

Also one of the very, very few times I wear a neck strap. Camera has to be perfect height and it helps if you got a little belly to push out to raise the camera slightly. Shot was done via 2 second self-timer. ISO 3200, just usable for my taste. And it had to be pushed 1-1/2 stops or so as it was an adapted fisheye, slow to start with and more slow after adapting.

Photo has had about 20 minutes of post processing, but it has not been printed. A printed version may need some more adjustment. Transmitted light does not always equal reflected light. I shot it at Easter and just looked at it today...by chance. I got photos going back to 2013 I have not looked at yet. Am backed up terribly.

Photo may go in a book I'm doing. We will see.

Personally I can't stand square which is why it took me so long to get onto Instagram (doesn't matter now of course!) Most of my work is in the outback of Australia. I spent 25 years as Cinematographer before I finally tried stills about 4 years back. My greatest fear is

a client who wants me to shoot vision and stills "side by side" on the same job!

44277200992_625042baf6_k.jpgSunny days by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

44416512762_4395dc5621_k.jpgPrecision by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

44040327652_cc942e24e6_k.jpgMan of vision by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

26418697363_aacf1f4937_k.jpgNulla bored by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

31232270054_471b9c857e_k.jpgThe Princess and the Pragmatist by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

41119353434_2c1633b2eb_k.jpgArt for art's sake. by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

• 4 months later...

Personally I can't stand square which is why it took me so long to get onto Instagram (doesn't matter now of course!) Most of my work is in the outback of Australia. I spent 25 years as Cinematographer before I finally tried stills about 4 years back. My greatest fear is

a client who wants me to shoot vision and stills "side by side" on the same job!

44277200992_625042baf6_k.jpgSunny days by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

44416512762_4395dc5621_k.jpgPrecision by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

44040327652_cc942e24e6_k.jpgMan of vision by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

26418697363_aacf1f4937_k.jpgNulla bored by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

31232270054_471b9c857e_k.jpgThe Princess and the Pragmatist by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

41119353434_2c1633b2eb_k.jpgArt for art's sake. by Chris Tangey, on Flickr

Nice work!

I like The Princess and the Pragmatist They are a pair of QT's!

​I'd like to do Instagram but don't have a smartphone. Can't figure out how to post from my computer.

• Premium Member

If you figure it out, please tell me... if I load the photos into Mac Photos on my laptop, I can post them to Instagram from there... but only on an iPhone or iPad. Of course, I can use the Instagram app on those devices as well to connect to my Photos library. I havent figured how to share from Photos (or any folder) to Instagram when staying on my MacBook and using Safari.

I havent figured how to share from Photos (or any folder) to Instagram when staying on my MacBook and using Safari.

This website seems to give some explanation on how to upload from your mac to safari on your mac.

There seems to be some drawbacks, EG "You can only upload Portrait images (landscape gets cropped). Nor can you upload videos this way. You also lose access to Instagram's advanced editing option and range of filters. "

Here is another website that seems to be more detailed and helpful IMO.

Hope this helps?

Dan

If you figure it out, please tell me... if I load the photos into Mac Photos on my laptop, I can post them to Instagram from there... but only on an iPhone or iPad. Of course, I can use the Instagram app on those devices as well to connect to my Photos library. I havent figured how to share from Photos (or any folder) to Instagram when staying on my MacBook and using Safari.

Yes, don't think it's possible David

When on the street it is important to keep your cam updated for proper exposure. You can't shoot a circle fisheye on auto and get good exposure most of the time. The sky and sun ruin the exposure. If you have to fiddle with exposure, the candid opportunity evaporates. (Supposed to be a circle fisheye but came out like an egg here? I tried to cheat the low res photo requirements and that was what I got.)

living-in-a-cardboard-box-d.d.-teoli-jr.

Selection from Living in a Cardboard Box artist's book by Daniel D. Teoli Jr. - Manhattan, (Candid)

I got a PC, can they be sent into Instagram from a PC? (easily?)

I got a PC, can they be sent into Instagram from a PC? (easily?)

You need to use Google Chrome (maybe others). Right click > Inspect Element then at the top left of that new section you'll see something that says "toggle device toolbar" so it lets you use your desktop as an iPhone (make sure to refresh the page after activating).

Edited by Macks Fiiod
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Saw the old Juirassic Park for Halloween. Fantastic special features. They had one menu for still photos. Don't know if they were snapshots from the crew or from the 'hired still photographer'  but they were really bad. Terrible exposure.

I bring it up cause, from what I can tell, cinematographer's, a lot of time, don't put effort into still work to perfect it anyway near what they do with cine' work. The photos they used on the DVD would be a real embarrassment for any photog to show.