How to light for high key cooking show?

Hey guys, going to be shooting a spoof of a cooking show for a music video. I'm sure we all know the "look". Seems to be evenly lit, bright lighting, minimal shadows, relatively flat. How are these cooking shows normally lit? I assume alot of large soft sources from above shining down? I'll be trying to replicate this (on a budget of course) and looking for the best way to do it. Anyone with experience on these types of set have advice? We are going to use a lookalike for martha stewart, paula dean, or rachel ray, I'm not sure which one yet.

I've attached pics, but you can google "cooking show"

post-69695-0-73587800-1487989047_thumb.jpg

post-69695-0-64266300-1487989053_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

At least some of those look to be still photos with a lot of extra front light that wouldn't necessarily be there for the TV show itself. The bottom right image looks a bit like that.

Otherwise it looks rather like a generalised three-point setup with one side very slightly hotter than the other, though not enough to create very noticeable shadows. Many of them have slightly more light coming from camera left than right. Big soft sources - possibly bounced off walls and ceilings, or if it's a studio, lots of stuff in a grid.