Aputure 120D and 120T

Does any one have experience with the Aputure 120D and 120T? The reviews online so far seem to be very happy with them. I checked the 120T (tungsent) version at Sammy camera in Hollywood, unfortunately they don't have the 120D (daylight 6000k) yet.

I am very interested in getting a set of Aputure 120D with the Fresnel lens as a daylight version of my Arri 650 kit.

Any suggestions if you think I should invest in something else?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good fixture - these are my measurements (Sekonic C700)

Aputure COB120T Tungsten RA: 98.2 R9: 89.3 CCT: 2931 Input Wattage: 135 Price: $595

Impressive color and flexibility, however once you add the fresnel lens etc... - it's still a 120w fixture ~ 500w tungsten. And you're within spitting distance of the price of the Mole 200w Varimole which is a better fixture overall and more flexible in terms of color. BUT you're right - there are advantages to the Aputure, namely the modifiers. You can use it in all the bowens mods, which can be useful especially if you already own those.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good fixture - these are my measurements (Sekonic C700)

Aputure COB120T Tungsten RA: 98.2 R9: 89.3 CCT: 2931 Input Wattage: 135 Price: $595

Impressive color and flexibility, however once you add the fresnel lens etc... - it's still a 120w fixture ~ 500w tungsten. And you're within spitting distance of the price of the Mole 200w Varimole which is a better fixture overall and more flexible in terms of color. BUT you're right - there are advantages to the Aputure, namely the modifiers. You can use it in all the bowens mods, which can be useful especially if you already own those.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1247489-REG/mole_richardson_9171_200w_varimole_led.html

Errrrrr.... that is more than double the price of the Aputure 120D, nearly 2.5x the price! Would not call that "within spitting distance".

Edited by David Peterson

• Premium Member

I have an example of each and my impression is that they're very decent. The only criticism is that they have a separate mains power supply and external controller, which means that running from mains you have three devices and two cables to set up. Once they're set it's easy enough, though, just hang the controller on the stand.

One advantage over a fresnel is that as open faced lights they've got about the maximum possible optical efficiency, although 100W of LED still isn't that much power.

P