D.E.B.S. Short on Sundance Channel in about 15 min

Nathan Milford

• Premium Member

Well, it was what it was and didn't try or pretend to be any more than that.

Women in school-girl outfits, making out, shooting guns with whitty retorts...

Particuarly amusing is the lover's quarrel betwixt the fighting.

I must say, David, you did a lovely job making it feel just like one its cousins. I rather liked the end where they walk through a golden hued warehouse... I like how you let the windows blow out (my personal fetish)... but I imagine you probably didn't have too much choice (read: money).

You say you shot it as reel fodder? To establish that you had the capacity to shoot the genre?

- nathan

• Premium Member

I didn't shoot the short; Kristian Bernier did. I shot the feature version.

Both were Panavision F900 HDCAM shoots. The main difference is that the short was 1.85, mostly day exterior and interior, and he used ProMists. The feature was framed for 2.35, a lot more night interior and exterior, and I shot it clean mostly, in harder light. It was meant to have a "pop art" look, less natural than the short. In fact, we used the same warehouse for the feature as the short and the director wanted it all lit up like in the short; I had to remind her that in the short it was a DAY scene and had the advantage of skylights and real sunlight.

There was a limit to how much I could light up that cavernous space at night -- I must have hung forty Parcans up in the girders....

I think she wrote all the scenes in the short for day to save money.

• Premium Member
I didn't shoot the short; Kristian Bernier did. I shot the feature version.

Oops, party foul, my apologies.

I shall endevour to look closer at the credits next time for I could have sworn reading somewhere that you shot the short and were then picked up for the feature... I suppose I am either nuts or misinformed.

Once again I appologize. But I feel I've atoned by recieving my copy of Cinematography this morning... >8)

- nathan

I worked on the short, but haven't seen that or the feature vesion yet. I remember that warehouse... aweful commute! I can't imagine 40 parcans putting much of a dent in that giant space. I'm really curious to see how the two differ.

BTW, I'm currently working with your Key and Best Boy Grips from that feature-- great guys.