viewfinder vs frame

tom lombard

This is a Bolex EL specific question... Is what you see in the viewfinder exactly (or very close) to what exposes on the film? Or is there a significant difference and in what direction? Examples: If I have a boom mic just outside of my field of view thru the viewfinder, might that mic still be in the shot? Conversely, might a prop that is just within the field of view thru the viewfinder actually be out of the shot? Thanks, Tom

• Premium Member

Good question! A factory adjusted camera or one serviced by a properly equipped technician will record on film quite precisely what you see in the reflex finder. Since the camera image aperture is a bit wider and higher than the projectors’ you can be sure to have an object just on edge with shooting invisible with screening.

This may be bordering on blasphemy but what I'm wanting to film this Summer will be digitized & edited digitally so there won't be a "projector" involved. If something like a mic does show up, I can fix it in post (pretend I didn't really actually say that) but am concerned about stuff I'd like to be in view but at the edge of my shot. It's likely that I shouldn't be trying to shoot that too precisely anyway so this may be more of a technical matter than a practical one.