Kodak Vision3 500T on Leicina Super

Hi all,

sorry, one more n00b question.

I just bought a Leicina Super, and I was planning to test it with a 500T cartridge. Except of course the Leicina reads max 400ASA from the notches. I *tend* to think it should be allright, judging by this:
http://peaceman.de.www127.your-server.de/schmalfilm/super8/S8_Notch_Tools_v1.0.pdf

I think it should interpret the notches as T400, which would lead to slightly over-expose the film (~1/2 of stop, if my rusty math works). And I can correct that with subtracting half a stop with the manual over-ride.

Does it make sense?

Cheers
Berto

• Premium Member

The difference between 400ASA and 500ASA is 1/3 stop. Generally, color negative film likes to be overexposed so you may be better off not compensating. 1/3 stop for this filmstock is really nothing to worry about. In fact, you'll get tighter grain and richer colors if you over-expose by one stop.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Leicina or the Super 8 cartridges so I can't help you there.

• Upvote 1

I would like to second Satsuki's post. Some people rate 8mm 7219 at 320, FWIW. I can't imagine how that would be a problem, except in very rare situations. You might lose a bit of sharpness but IMO it's not a bad compromise. I had a reference I wish I could show you (how a specific film reacted to overexposure) but for some reason I lost the URL. If I find it I'll post it below.

• Upvote 1

I've shot 500T in Super 8 a fair amount. Vision3 can handle a LOT of overexposure and according to anyone you ask, it'll tighten up grain and give you a denser neg. Especially with a 2k scan, it can look great.

500T shot during the day at 160 (Nizo 801M that only meters up to 160T)

500T shot inside at night at 400 (Canon 814XL-S which reads up to 400T)

Cropped to 16x9

Also join us on the Super 8 forum here for more questions about Super 8! That is a freaking GEM of a camera you got there. I'm jealous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you everyone! You make my shaky hands feel a bit less terrified :)

Cropped to 16x9

Also join us on the Super 8 forum here for more questions about Super 8! That is a freaking GEM of a camera you got there. I'm jealous.

Wow that is an amazing result!! I plan to shoot more than half of my material in 1960s themed dancing clubs (we have a lot of those here), so flower power, liquid lights etc. And those colours you have are just exactly what my wildest dreams were made of!

Will join the forum immediately! And yes, it's not a Leicina Special (I'm not made of money!) but even just the super is more than I had ever hoped for. And I seem to have located the additional close-up lens, so... full house :) Been a very lucky find.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 3/17/2017 at 12:14 PM, Nick Collingwood said:

I've shot 500T in Super 8 a fair amount. Vision3 can handle a LOT of overexposure and according to anyone you ask, it'll tighten up grain and give you a denser neg. Especially with a 2k scan, it can look great.

500T shot during the day at 160 (Nizo 801M that only meters up to 160T)

Cropped to 16x9

I was concerned that if you put in a cartridge of anything higher than 400asa---which i think means 250D, available from pro8mm, is the fastest film available for the Super---you will have to meter yourself.

But i didn't see any way to manually adjust aperture, so if you got say 200T in there, and that's 125asa outside, would you apply that one-stop exposure adjustment? Is that enough? I need to learn these relationships of stops better. Cheers!