need help with the bolex ebm powering equipment

Guest Vincent

Guest Vincent

I want to use 16mm film for my next projects because I'm one of those f*ck-digital-guys. my budget is not that high, maybe 1000$ and I think, the best 16mm camera I can get is the Bolex EBM. there is only one problem: I don't know how to run this camera cheaply. bolex offers some battery equipment and I can find some eBay auctions to, but I don't want to spend 500$ for used, 40-year old gear. my question: does anyone know about a cheap method for running this camera? it would be very helpfull, cheers, vincent:)

I just went thru similar situation with an EL that I purchased that didn't come with power supply. I ended up getting an AC/DC power supply from the local Salvation Army (they had dozens and I found one that met my requirements) for $3. I needed to purchase the specific connector online for the EL which was another $10 and did a minor bit of soldering. It works great. For battery pack, I got a holder for 10 AA batteries and bought some decent rechargeables. I think battery holder was $4 and about $25 worth of batteries. And another minor bit of soldering. All together, I've got about $50 invested and have power if I have an outlet or need to run off of batteries. I can provide links & additional info.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=23663 is the thread that gave me a start in the right direction. the link to the connector at Mouser was still good however it may be that you'll need a different connector for the EBM than for the EL.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=73979 is the thread i started as i progressed thru. i initially had an AC to 12vDC power supply that provided 2 amps (or bit more) but it wouldn't fire my EL. the one i mention in this thread provides 3.3 amps and works very well. for batteries, i initially tried (just because i had them) 8, 1.5V AA alkalizes but they didn't work. i went to 10, 1.2V rechargeable AA but the amperage would only fire my EL at some FPS speeds but not all. i them went to a better grade of rechargeable AA and that seemed to work fine at most FPS speeds. i redid a big of my amateurish soldering and it worked even better :)

I saw a method using AA batteries to power a beaulieu as well. it seems to be a nice idea, thank you for your help:) maybe I buy a Bolex EL, too, it seems to be as good as the EBM and is inexpebsive. Unfortunatly, I'm not an god of the electrics, but i will do it.

I saw a method using AA batteries to power a beaulieu as well. it seems to be a nice idea, thank you for your help:) maybe I buy a Bolex EL, too, it seems to be as good as the EBM and is inexpebsive. Unfortunatly, I'm not an god of the electrics, but i will do it.