Wrapping a stinger

Michael Katz

Two production assistants are currently having a debate about the proper way to wrap a stinger. One party thinks they should be over/undered, the other party thinks they should be coiled (just continuously wrapped). I have my opinion, but I would like to hear as many opinions/experiences on this topic as possible to make an informed ruling on this matter. Thank you.

Edited by Michael Katz

• Premium Member

though using over/under with heavy cables.

the over/over is a bit faster to use I think but it creates twist to the cable when you lay it down which is why the over/under is said to be better. (if using over/over the cable is untwisted when on coil but twisted when laying on the ground and will be untwisted again when coiled again using over/over and rolled to similar diameter than before. it requires though that the cable can be twisted easily in the first place which is why it is not used at all with heavy cables)

Whichever way the cables is neutral. Some require over, over, under. If the cable got hot or has a natural bend to it, try and follow that. I wouldn't try and "correct" a cable on the job, though on longer projects I will clean and lay out the cables to remove bends and trends.

The real question here is... loose ends or infinite power?

• Premium Member

I'm against same-cable-marriage only because I feel it can put undue stress on the hubble-- with bates though ,I'm more for it. It kinda depends what kind of mess you're dealing with. If you're throwing them into crates, leave it single and ready to mingle, but you'd not want it mingling if you happen to have a jockey full of 12/3.