Arri SR2- Working?

Scott Pickering

I bought an Arri SR2 that wasn't tested. It came with a magazine. That said I hooked it up to a Bescor 12V battery. Nothing happened. I can't seem to be able to get the unit to turn on or show its getting power. Not sure how to get it to run either. Do I need the adapter piece that sets the frame rate to 24? Or will it run without it? I'm currently trying to sell the package, and would be able to sell it if I could get it running. Any help here? Look on Ebay for the SR2 package I'm selling to see pics.

• Premium Member

Well, first thing is that SR's are 24v systems, not 12v systems. IDK how they'd react to 12v, never tried.

Second, if you supply a good/measured 24v signal to the camera and it still doesn't work, check the fuse. It's on the flat piece where the magazine goes (the electronics). It's the little circular port, sometimes plastic see-through. Measure the fuse to make sure it's in good working order.

• Premium Member

Well, first thing is that SR's are 24v systems, not 12v systems. IDK how they'd react to 12v, never tried.

SR1 and 2 cameras run off 12V.

"XLR cable to back of camera."

Yes. Forgive me, but I've never operated an Arri before.

Did you already have a 4 pin XLR power cable or have you wired it yourself? Have you got the polarity and pin wiring right? Pin 1 should be ground, pin 4 +12V

Hi, Scott,

For correct polarity, check sr 2 manual: http://www.doc-cba.be/cbadoc2/images/manuals/ARRI16SR2_manual.pdf

I'm writing from my phone so i cannot chek if it's really there but there should be a scheme for all the wires, plugs, connectors. In the manual you should also find info about fuse.

Happy easter, by the way!

Nojus

They look like axial lead fuses. As long as the dimensions are similar just match the rating. They're not expensive. Of course you'll test the existing ones with a meter.

Dom told you the polarity, pin 1 ground, pin 4 12V.

Found the two selections on the base of the camera. It looks like its set to 24 fps at 60hz. Fuses I can't find my tester, so not sure if they are good. One is .75 amps and the other 10 amps. What is the voltage on those fuses? Manual doesn't state that info. They are pretty small fuses, so not sure who would be best to order them from.

• 1 month later...

Well I sent the entire package to Bernie at Super 16. He told me the battery was toast, so no wonder the camera didn't power on. Also the mechanism was dry and needed lubing. I had him go over the camera to clean and lube it up and also go over 1 of the 2 magazines. Lens was collimated. I now have the package up for sale.

• 2 months later...

I need to put a test roll of film in this camera to confirm operation, as it was recently serviced and I got it back from that. Just need to show its working to potential buyers.

Without burning off a full 400 foot roll of film, can I safely run a 100 foot reel in this camera without damaging anything? Will the meter reader be able to show proper feet left or will the reel itself prevent that?

Don't think the arm can rest on the film when its in a daylight spool.

+1.

The arm overlaps the film edge, so it can't handle a spool. I assume it locks back out of the way (it does on the BL) and you rely on the footage counter.