Blackmagic DaVinci 14 ($299)

Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

Blackmagic has stepped it's game up once more, adding a few very cool features to Resolve. The best new news is that they've lowered the price to $299.

DaVinci Resolve 14 has hundreds of new features for editors, colorists and now, for the first time, audio professionals. The new playback engine dramatically increases responsiveness with up to 10x better performance for editors. You also get a whole new page with the full Fairlight audio post production tools that let you record, edit, mix, sweeten and master sound with full 3D audio space and up to 1000 channels. Colorists will find amazing new filters that include automatic facial recognition and tracking for quickly smoothing skin tones, brightening eyes, changing lip color and more! Plus, DaVinci Resolve 14 features revolutionary new multi user collaboration tools such as bin locking, chat and timeline merging that allow editors, colorists, and sound editors to all work on the same project at the same time! All these new features make DaVinci Resolve 14 is the world’s most advanced post production software!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Wow, the multi user stuff looks really great. I love the idea of color grading while my editor edits and then the grade just shows up in their timeline. That's some next level stuff.

Edited by Frank Hegyi

Just bear in mind that this is a public beta, so you probably won't want to use it on a commercial or important to you production for a while yet. I gather it's still at the pretty buggy stage, which isn't that surprising given the time scale of six months since they took over Fairlight Audio.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested in the noise reduction which is not available in the free version. The price is tempting but no way I can upgrade now. If I go past Windows 7, I'll have to build a new PC. If I go past Davinci 12.0, I loose .mov support. I have the latest Neat Video on Vegas 14 to compliment Resolve 12.0 for now. since every thing is running solid, I'm staying put on hardware and software until the wheels come off my 7 year old system.