zoom lens not zooming in (red pl zoom 17-50mmv2)

No I doubt it, something is seriously wrong if it won't zoom. If you are lucky maybe it is a single loose or missing screw that is causing the focus housing to not engage the internal mechanics. I am not familiar with the red zoom so cannot say for sure. Even so finding a replacement would be challenging on short notice.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

If you can't zoom in, how do you know you can still zoom out? Aren't you stuck at 17mm? Or can you manually pull it out?

It's usually something like a loose screw or a broken follower that jams the zoom in a lens like this, you'd need to pull it apart to find out. Probably best to rent another lens if you don't have a competent tech.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

A good repair shop should be able to fix it.

Having said that, as a lens repairer I haven't had good experiences with Red in terms of getting parts for their lenses, so if something needs replacing it could be a hassle. But parts can be manufactured or modified from other parts. Chances are it's just something loose anyway.

I don't know if Red have a repair facility in the UK, they told me here in Australia that I had to send their lenses back to the States. I told them to go jump and did the repairs locally without a problem. Sending something halfway around the world just to tighten a screw seems ludicrous to me.

• 3 weeks later...

A good repair shop should be able to fix it.

Having said that, as a lens repairer I haven't had good experiences with Red in terms of getting parts for their lenses, so if something needs replacing it could be a hassle. But parts can be manufactured or modified from other parts. Chances are it's just something loose anyway.

I don't know if Red have a repair facility in the UK, they told me here in Australia that I had to send their lenses back to the States. I told them to go jump and did the repairs locally without a problem. Sending something halfway around the world just to tighten a screw seems ludicrous to me.

here's our update ...the track that the zoom moves is chipped...a piece was broken off...(probably someone forced the zoom) now where to get the part is the question..I will try to post photos..thanks.