Cyberlink Power Director; anyone use it?

• Premium Member

Last I heard Adobe stuff ran into the $1300 range. I'm seeing a bare bones edition for $89, and a midway version for $500 or $600. Where can I get the $20/month version, and is it legal?

• Premium Member

I went to Adobe's website;

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere.html?promoid=PQ7SQBYQ&mv=other

Interesting. I wonder why people are still trying to hock the expensive boxed versions.

people are unsure how much they would use the program, they believe they would pay for nothing if they don't edit anything for couple of months.

(one can plan these beforehand and cease the subscription for periods you wont need it so a bit odd attitude but nevertheless there is lots of people who simply don't like the idea of renting at all, they want to own it all no matter the cost. a piece of software is considered expendable nowadays and very soon renders obsolete so not a good investment I think... )

the main problem with current software and adobe products especially is that they are not very compatible between versions. so if you need to collaborate with another person who has, say, two years (or one or two versions even) older version of Premiere, you may not be able to share project files at all except using primitive methods like transferring the data in xml format between premiere versions. even converting the files from old to new version may not be possible.

So it is good to always have the latest or almost the latest version of the software and then it is much much cheaper and easier to rent than to purchase anything (and also mandatory with adobe products). if one is just working with old video formats and operating systems and never have to share anything with anybody, then any 10 year old software would do. It's just like, software developers don't care about backwards compatibility anymore :( and if updating the editing software you most often need to also update the operating system nowadays which leads to all kind of problems and other software may stop working. challenging times :blink:

Edited by aapo lettinen

If you want to get a NLE you can buy outright for a low price, then go with one of these three:

MAGIX Video Pro X8
Vegas Pro
HitFilm Pro

Or if you do not want to spend anything at all.... check out DaVinci Resolve.

• Premium Member

I've been using Creative Cloud for a few years now, and while I was skeptical about not 'owning' the software at first, now I prefer it and wouldn't want to go back.

The biggest benefit is the free and easy software version updates - with so many new cameras and codec variations coming out every few months, the need to constantly update to stay current is a big issue. Just don't update while in the middle of a project.

Otherwise, it's great not to have work around compatibility issues between software versions if you are passing edits around between collaborators. Because we are always on the same version.