cheap camera + excellent glass = same result as.....

• Premium Member

How about a regular 16mm Arri SR2 then? Should be in the ballpark price-wise.

yes definitely.....Ariflex SR2 is in the picture although I like the form factor of the Aaton and their philosophy...the cat on the shoulder thing is just too cool hahaha thanks for commenting and taking the time everyone

• Premium Member

Sound recording requires an entirely different kind of camera then your original post discussed. Even if you don't want or need certain features, the moment you start to sync sound, you're stuck with many of them, including a bigger sync-sound camera body.

I do think the SRII is a great choice. It's a bit louder then the LTR/XTR, it's also not a great shouldering camera. However, you can get one for cheap if you look around hard enough. I'm afraid of the non-super 16 LTR's, they have a lot of odd issues that I wouldn't stand by. The Super 16 LTR like mine, it was actually an XTR gen 1 camera. It's such a nice camera for hand holding. Now I have an XTR and it's amazingly a pretty big step above the LTR in many ways.

Also, most displays are 16x9 which is close to the Super 16 aspect ratio. So when you say that standard 16 looks ok on an IPAD, I assume you mean when cropped to 16x9?

• Premium Member

Sound recording requires an entirely different kind of camera then your original post discussed. Even if you don't want or need certain features, the moment you start to sync sound, you're stuck with many of them, including a bigger sync-sound camera body.

I do think the SRII is a great choice. It's a bit louder then the LTR/XTR, it's also not a great shouldering camera. However, you can get one for cheap if you look around hard enough. I'm afraid of the non-super 16 LTR's, they have a lot of odd issues that I wouldn't stand by. The Super 16 LTR like mine, it was actually an XTR gen 1 camera. It's such a nice camera for hand holding. Now I have an XTR and it's amazingly a pretty big step above the LTR in many ways.

Also, most displays are 16x9 which is close to the Super 16 aspect ratio. So when you say that standard 16 looks ok on an IPAD, I assume you mean when cropped to 16x9?

ironically no...the iPad Pro has a much squarer screen and you can watch full screen standard 16mm films on it!!!! thanks for taking the time to help me out....

• 2 weeks later...

I use the K3 and it works quite well. The standard zoom lens is SHARP, I always use the yellow filter that comes with the set but trust me K3 is a nice camera especially considering its price. The camera is robust. I myself enjoy REGULAR 16MM so I have no problem with the aspect ratio. Projection is key for me with regards to Super 8mm and 16mm so I am not the least bit concerned with transfers/scans. I prefer the K3 for on the fly grabs and city capturing.

Edited by Glauber Lima

• Premium Member

I love the portability of small 16mm cameras. I really love my Canon Scoopic MS. Great lens on that camera, even if it is fixed. BUT, if I shoot landscapes and skies, I can notice a faint pulsing due to extremely slight inconsistencies in the mechanism. I've seen this in varying degrees on three different cameras. However, on the three Arri SR's I've owned, I've never had this issue.

The SR is simply a well-built workhorse that can be easily adjusted throughout the film path. It's designed to be maintained professionally for professional results. Any camera that is taken care of and properly serviced shouldn't have issues but on something like a Scoopic there are just limitations to how it can be adjusted.

I've shot some amazing footage on a K3 with Pentax M42 still lenses. It is totally possible. It just comes down to luck of the draw sometimes on the cheap cameras and as a professional it's hard to rely on that luck all the time.

• Upvote 1

I had an SCOOPIC MS, its the easiest 16mm I have ever used and the FIXED lens is nothing to get sad about since its awesome, you can even attach a wide angle attachment to get super wide shots, the wide angle attachment I used was not the OFFICIAL CANON SCOOPIC. It was a Century wide angle and it produced for me sharp wide angle shots. Anyway its a great camera that you could mount with a lot of filters.

You can also take it to get modified to become crystal sync camera. You can't really shoot 400ft with it, yes there is a adapter but its RARE and despite the fact I have never used it, it would probably throw off the weight of the camera..

I love the K3 for what it does, its NOT a TOY, it is just barebones

Edited by Glauber Lima

• 2 weeks later...

The CP16 transport received a bit of negative regard when it came to steadiness. Some years back, Ken Hale at Whitehouse Audiovisual did a double-exposure test on a CP16R which had been properly serviced and adjusted with clutches at correct frictions. Despite there being no registration pin on the CP it was rock steady.

Many complex machines are only as good as their ongoing care and maintenance.