Modern Monitor Options or workarounds for Aaton XTR Prod

This is rather specific (and perhaps silly) but let me explain what I'm after:

I need a monitor to round out my Aaton XTR package so I can offer it for framing for the director, etc.
However, I'd LIKE to get a modern monitor (SmallHD, TV Logic, etc) and find a way to convert the Aaton video tap signal to be accepted by any of these modern monitors. This is so I can essentially buy one monitor and use for framing with my Aaton package, but also enjoy it's use for digital packages as well.

If any one can suggest ideas that would be great, because when I called SmallHD they didn't offer much help and TV Logic was even less so. If I have to I'll do separate monitors but I'm really trying to avoid that.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Here's a somewhat recent thread where we discuss monitoring options for standard def video taps in this age of HD-SDI: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=72159&do=findComment&comment=462350

Basically, if your Aaton has a composite video output, then a TVLogic 5.6 or 7.4 will work since both have composite inputs. But you will not be able to loop out to a second monitor.

Or you can use an AJA or Blackmagic converter box to convert the analog composite signal to HD-SDI and use with any modern monitor. But then you need to also power that box.

One workaround I used recently on my Moviecam SL was to use a BNC 'T' splitter on the tap, so the on-board TVLogic and Panasonic 17" monitor at video village both had a signal. This was an older Panasonic monitor that also had a composite video input.

Thank you for your input and advice Satsuki.

I'll look into the TVLogic models you suggested, as the video tap is indeed composite. Failing that I'll look into the boxes you mentioned, but as you mentioned powering those is something I'd like to avoid.

Your workaround for your SL sounds like a decent approach as well, assuming video village uses a monitor with composite in (which isn't guaranteed I suppose.)

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Worst case, you can just use the converter box at video village, which is a much smaller pain in the ass than putting it on the camera. You've got the run power to that monitor anyway, so just cube tap it and Velcro the box to the back of the monitor.

• Premium Member

Since you don't need "HD" for a video tap, why not just buy something used online? I have a real junky monitor I got for free and it works fine. I recently plugged my tap into a really nice monitor and it looked no different then the crappy monitor.

If you NEED a good monitor for something else and only rarely use it on the film camera, then I'd go with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Composite-Converter-Scaler-support/dp/B008S7EYW2

You can velcro it onto the back of the monitor and be done with it.