Film scans in LA

• Premium Member

Where do you guys get your film scanned in LA? Looking for comparable per foot rates to Cinelab, who do a nice job but are rather distant for West Coast productions.

I like Fotokem processing, but their scanning rates on inferior machines are per hour and rather expensive.

On my last 35mm project I developed and scanned with Fotokem and it really ate into the budget despite the help/discounts they offered. They are great people, but I agree that scanning is rather pricey. I've since been referred to Spectra Film and Video by several colleagues in LA, but I haven't been able to use them. You might reach out and see how it goes? Maybe others here can attest to their quality?

http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/

• Premium Member

Nobody in LA will strike the kind of deals Cinelab does, it just doesn't exist.

If you want 1080p telecine, you can probably find someone to do it for $250/hr. But "scanning" at 4k, you're looking at .48/ft as the lowest rate in town, which is a lot higher then Cinelab's process/scan deal.

• Site Sponsor

Our overhead is allot lower, and we now offer 2K and 4K 35mm scans on Scan Station either to ProRes4444, DPX or both.

New Bedford, MA is allot less expensive than Sana Monica, we are also Solar Powered by a 250Kw array so there is that too.

• Premium Member

Yup, makes sense Robert. Unfortunately for a lot of smaller shoots on the West Coast, shipping large packages back and forth cross-country and waiting for processing and scanning can be a deal-killer. Hope I get to use Cinelab again soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard good feedback for Pro8 in LA 818.848.5522. I was told they have a ScanStation. I've not personally done work there https://www.pro8mm.com/collections/scan-film-to-digital

You might try Prasad in Burbank (818) 861-7611. For highest quality when it has to be done in LA, Cinelicious does a great job on Scanity. They probably also still have a ScanStation. I have no idea about their prices.

Craig Nichols

The Packard Humanities Stoa

I've heard good feedback for Pro8 in LA 818.848.5522. I was told they have a ScanStation. I've not personally done work there https://www.pro8mm.com/collections/scan-film-to-digital

You might try Prasad in Burbank (818) 861-7611. For highest quality when it has to be done in LA, Cinelicious does a great job on Scanity. They probably also still have a ScanStation. I have no idea about their prices.

Craig Nichols

The Packard Humanities Stoa

BTW - opinions expressed are my own and have no relation to my employer.