Need help with starting out in new country! (England)

Hello friends! Oh my, don't know where to start. I've been shooting for a while now and traveling. I ended up in London, England and I decided to settle down here. I have more than five years of experience and been working in the US, Italy, Ukraine and here in the UK on some gigs. I really want to pursue my career and eventually become a DP at some point. I'm hard working and a good chap in general if you ask people :) For now I'm trying to get some work as a camera assistant but I don't know anybody here. I would really love the opportunity to meet new people. Please share some advice if you can! Thanks so much.

Edited by Hank Vadim

If you have the opportunity to work in the USA, go there. You'd be crazy to work here by choice. It's one of the most hostile places in the world, in all senses of the term.

P

If I had the opportunity to work there I won't be here :)

• Premium Member

Almost anywhere in the world is a better bet than here. France, if you speak the language. India, China. There is a popular idea that there is a large and successful industry here. It is not true; the total number of people permanently employed in worthwhile camera-related jobs is a few hundred nationwide, and the job openings are a handful a year.

P

Almost anywhere in the world is a better bet than here. France, if you speak the language. India, China. There is a popular idea that there is a large and successful industry here. It is not true; the total number of people permanently employed in worthwhile camera-related jobs is a few hundred nationwide, and the job openings are a handful a year.

P

Well then I'd better be in the rows of those few hundreds then

Yes I'm in England (I've seen a few other members who live here).

From guys and girls I've worked with on jobs who are in the camera department, they have often started by working at a camera rental company (look at Shoot Blue, Get Set Hire, Arri, Panavision etc..).

At first you spend a lot of time delivering equipment to shoots. This may seem unappealing if you want to be shooting, however you get to recognise DP's, AC's, Gaffers and so on. Get talking to them, let them know what you're interested in. They see you know equipment because you work with it all.

Also if you're new to London then driving around it will help you loads! Its a big city with many studios and lots of locations for shoots.

Often from there you can get into camera trainee work/2nd AC then work your way up.

But I agree with Phil, the industry is in LA/rest of the US. If you can work there legally then you should do it. Best place to be.