Hot wheels POV

Hi,

I'm preparing to shoot a commercial involving a toy car race track with Loop-the-loops, jumps, etc. The storyboards call for POV shots of the car on the track. The toy cars are maybe twice the size of Hot Wheels cars. This footage is to be intercut with the rest of the commercial which will be shot with a regular camera (Arri or Red).

How would one go about capturing these POV shots? My idea was to try to get one or two of the toy cars and modify them to mount a GoPro on, low enough so that it doesn't become top heavy and topples over in the track, and shoot at a minimum of 60fps to get as much detail as possible in the fast moving parts of the track.

Any other idea? Is there a better camera to do this?

Thanks!

Not sure if this is in the budget, but could building a false track with much greater size so a GoPro can sit on the car much more stable? I fear a standard size hot wheels track (which was small to me even when I was 6) is too flimsy to hold something that relatively cumbersome. Hot wheels cars barely stayed in the tracks as it is. A GoPro on top of it? Forget about it.

Mounting a higher quality camera like a Blackmagic Micro could help for the general quality within the shot, however would still topple. Perhaps try mounting it, but slowly going around the track tacking stop motion stills and assembling them together in post. Make sure to also add motion blur in post as well.

Please let me know if I'm not understanding the situation.

• Premium Member

If the toy car pulled along grove in the track or by magnetics? If it's just using momentum like a Hot Wheels to get around the loop, I don't think it's going to make the full rotation with any extra weight like from a camera, even a tiny one.

For that moment, you might have to mount the camera from the side at a right angle to the track and use an arm to make the circular loop. Or something like a right-angle snorkel lens on some sort of rotating rig for the camera.

I don't want to be the "fix it in post guy" but could you run the camera along the track without the car to get the POV track feel. Then layer a keyed out car on top?

Seems like a simple way to retain consistent camera quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We tested a regular gopro 4 on a modified car today and it worked OK. We have ordered a Hero Session 5 which will help a lot with the smaller form factor and centered lens. Snorkel lenses have been suggested, but way outside of the budget range.