1st time using a wire harness for stunts. HELP!

Hey guys,

I'm planning a "matrix-style" fight scene for a production soon in Dallas, TX. The type of fights where you punch the guy and he goes flying across the room. Lots of aerial tricks etc. I know I'm going to need a wire harness for this to hoist up the actor while doing the stunts, but I've never used one before. I plan to hire a vfx guy for wire removal in post. I've got a few questions:

1. How do I go about finding a wire harness to rent for the production? I don't have a producer yet on the project, but I'm starting preliminary preparation and I'm just curious on alot of things because I've never dealt with this before.

2. What is needed from the location/space to phsyically pull this off? I assume the ceiling needs to have heavy beams that the rig can attach to to support the weight? I've seen it attached to condors/cranes on movie sets, but I doubt we will have the budget to get one of those.

3. Just incase, what's the rate to rent a small crane for something like that? Just a ballpark would be fine, I'm new to all of this.

4. Any tips or things I should look out for when using this rig for the first time?

5. I assume I need to hire some type of technician to ensure the rig is being used properly and safely?

6. Anyone recommend a producer in Dallas Texas that can help me pull this off?

• Premium Member

Hire a stunt coordinator, that person will have all the info you need on harnesses, cable rigs, etc. And that person will probably want to make sure you hire a good key grip and rigging grip. This is a serious safety issue, flying actors on wires.

This work also takes a lot of rehearsals before or on the shooting day, so plan on shooting something else while they practice on the rig. It's very time-consuming. It also takes a number of stunt people because you've got a couple of people dealing wth pulling on the wire, and others to catch the actor as they fly out of frame, or large pads are needed, etc. It's a team.

I film an occasional stunt sequence, and I can recommend a few stunt coordinators if that helps you out. They will have all the proper training, and assist with both gear selection, rigging and safety.

Jeff Wilhelm & Mark M Mosier are both fantastic folks to reach out to on FB. Happy to answer a question or point you to another local stunt coordinator.

Plus those guys have been in the business for so long, they can actually help improve your shooting, as they have shot many, many, sequences in the past.