Hey everyone,

Lately I've been looking for wide angle m42 lenses to use on my K-3. I'm quite fond of wide angle lenses, so the limited options available for this camera have been a bit frustrating. Even more so though, I've been really frustrated with the minimum focus of 2 meters on the Meteor 5-1, so my objective lately has been to find a decently wide M42 lens with a much closer minimum focus that I can use as my "normal" lens.

Naturally, I've come across the two most common options; the Peleng 8mm and the Zenitar 16mm. I've seen good images with both, but I feel like the Peleng's more apparent distortion might be annoying for some shots (even though I'd love to have that field of view). Perhaps I will try to acquire both eventually, but lately I've been leaning towards choosing the Zenitar and just dealing with the fact that it's not much wider.

Then I discovered another wide angle M42 lens that doesn't seem to get mentioned much: the Peleng 17mm. Sure, the Meteor goes to 17mm, but the Peleng has a much closer minimum focus.

Do any of you have experience with both the Peleng 17mm and the Zenitar? I've seen it suggested that the Peleng looks a bit sharper altogether, but I'm curious to see if any direct comparisons have been done.

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone knows where I can find an SMC Takumar 15mm for a good price, be sure to let me know... ;)

Hi there,

Well I own the Zenitar 16mm. I love it. It works especially great with the Super 16mm format and the barrel distortion is not distracting IMHO, but reminds of the cinematic barrel distortion of anamorphic lenses which can be seen in many a great and well known movie. The image is pin sharp and focus is only critical at short distances (depending on aperture of course).

Highly recommended since you can get it brand new very inexpensively (just needs the silver metal pin to be removed or permanently held in place inside to work with the K-3.

Here is some Krasnogorsk-3 footage with the Zenitar (expired Eastman EXR 50D, re-graded by Rudolf Griva) - the light leaks were from the footage counter, which have been sealed after taking this test footage:

The 1mm extra (16mm instead of 17mm) make a difference and you have a pin sharp prime lens. I highly recommend the Zenitar 16.

Hope this helps,

Christian

• 1 month later...

" Lately I've been looking for wide angle m42 lenses to use on my K-3. I'm quite fond of wide angle lenses, so the limited options available for this camera have been a bit frustrating. Even more so though, I've been really frustrated with the minimum focus of 2 meters on the Meteor 5-1, so my objective lately has been to find a decently wide M42 lens with a much closer minimum focus that I can use as my "normal" lens."

Hi Brett,

Yes, you're right, wide is a problem with K3. If you like it so much, you can go with a camera like a Bell & Howell Filmo 70 DR, wich is better choice (at the same price) because of itc c-mount.

No, it is possible to focus with the Meteor zoom as close as you want. Juste unscrew it smoothly and focus as you want. It is so simple than that.

And the meteor is tip top even à F/2...

Yes, 17mm doesn't seem very wide nowadays, but by my thought, it is OK for most inside shots. You can get to persons in the frame with no problem, focusing as close as you want by my little trick, even with low light at 8 or 12 fps...

You can find here most of the tips here : https://krasnofilmoandco.wordpress.com/quelques-astuces/

And many thanks for Christian for his wonderful images with the Zenitar 16.