tungsten, 85 and 81ef

Rolfe Klement

I suddenly noticed how much filter glass I was using on a day shoot.

So I was using 5218 stock outside - so rating at 320 with an 85 - then to create a bit of warmth I was adding an 81ef

Then I was thinking I am adding two filters when I could use one... which filter would I add and would I still rate the 5218 stock at 320?

thanks

Rolfe

Well, an 85 and a 81EF would add up to 1 1/3 stop compensation, so you should really be rating 5218 at 200asa, unless you are underexposing.

if you just want to lose some glass in front of the lens, I would try a heavy coral flter. Coral 5 is usually the equivalent of an 85 (depending on manufacturer) so you could try a Coral 7 or 8 according to taste.

If you want to reduce your filters, why not shoot a 250D stock outside? On the last project I shot, I went with Fuji 250D for exteriors and day interiors (rather than the Eterna 500T which I used for the rest of the film) because I wanted to use an 81EF and I didn't like the idea of having to stack a ton of filters over the lens. So even though there wasn't much difference in grain between the two stocks, I went daylight balanced for exactly the reason that's bothering you.

With the 81EF on, 250D should be rated at 160 however. If you really need more speed, you could try the Reala500D, that's about the only stock that would be 320 and true daylight balance with an 81EF on it.

So an 85 plus a 81ef would equal?

I think that would be a filter you'd have to have custom made, I don't know of anything that would combine the effect of those two exact filters into one.

Seriously though, if you're trying to reduce the blue in the scene, why shoot tungsten film outside?

On a related topic, I posted something about warming filters awhile ago that got some interesting responses, I'll put the link below. I remember Tony Brown had a cool idea about using a Tobacco instead of an 85 as correction when shooting tungsten outdoors.

link

• Premium Member

Why not shoot the gray scale with the 81EF filter and then switch to the 85 filter for the scene? The negative itself would be neutral but the dailies would look warm. Or shoot the gray scale with one level of Coral and then the scene with a higher number of Coral.