What is a good regular 8 splicer to get?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

CIR are the cheapest to run, using plain tape, but very expensive new. They tend to make good money on ebay because of their rarity.

You can in fact use a 16mm. model, with care, because the perforation layout is the same. These are easier to find.

Cement splicers are much cheaper but difficult to use and you lose 2 frames at the splice due to the overlap.

There are also some using pre-perforated tape, but it's very expensive now, 20-40p per splice.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• 2 weeks later...

For cement splicing the BOLEX 8mm/Super 8mm dual format splicer is one of the best out there. It makes a beveled edge splice that runs through the projector smoothly. There is a bit of getting used to it at first, but once you get used to it, it's great to use. HAHNEL made a nice beveled edge splicer that many consider perhaps the best type of Cement Splicer. I have used these also and they are great but run on batteries and you have to be mindful of the fine grinding dust as well as knowing that the grinding wheel will wear out eventually. Replacements are harder to locate. The BOLEX splicer uses the same grinding block as it's 16mm counterpart, so one from a 16mm version could be switched out if it were to wear out.

For tape splicers, the WURKER is well made and easy to use. While many types were made, avoid any that use a wrap around splice, since that can be finnicky in some projectors. I used to just shave off the wrap around part with a single edged razor blade when I did use one many years ago. I would only consider this type for film repair these days. The KODAK PressTape ones work well, and are preferred by those having to repair sprocket hole damage, but they are long and easily visible. The WURKER splice, is fast and small if using the 2 frame ones. I used to buy the 4 frame ones and cut them in half to become 2-frame tapes, both the 8mm and Super 8mm ones. But once I got used to cement splicing using the BOLEX splicer, I have stayed with it. The CIR Italian made splicers are nice, but can get gummed up since they perforated the tape. I have one also, and decided to only use it for film repair. In the end, you have to use what works best for you, of course.

• 2 years later...