Kodachrome questions directed to Kodak

Chris Cottrill

• Premium Member

To John Pytlak:

Concerning Super-8 Kodachrome extinction, I have two questions:

1. Why can't Kodak consider making the Super-8 kodachrome from the same stock they use for 16mm, thus streamlining operations? Or even use the same stock as 35mm kodachrome 64? I know the contrast will be different, but how different? Maybe a slightly different contrast in Super-8 kodachrome would be better than no kodachrome at all.

2. If this is not technically possible, why won't Kodak consider a "special order" of K40 in Super-8? Years ago, Kodak would special order anything if the minimum quantities were reached, but I was told Kodak won't do that anymore.

I just had some K40 processed by Dwayne's and they did an outstanding job. When you look at those vibrant colors and that saturation with little grain, it is hard not to make some more effort to try to keep kodachrome around a little longer.

Thanks

• Premium Member

Kodak has quite a bit of information giving the background on this business decision, along with KODACHROME and EKTACHROME Q&A:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/news/super8.jhtml

It's difficult to justify maintaining an old film formulation and all the "supply chain" of unique raw materials to support it, for only a few wide rolls per year.

Hi John, what is the final date that K40 will be available to order? I have a production coming up and we need to know when the latest we can make our film purchasing choice by. Thanks!

Chris

• Premium Member
Kodak has quite a bit of information giving the background on this business decision, along with KODACHROME and EKTACHROME Q&A:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/news/super8.jhtml

It's difficult to justify maintaining an old film formulation and all the "supply chain" of unique raw materials to support it, for only a few wide rolls per year.

I found this answer on the link you provided.

Q: Why are you discontinuing Kodachrome in the S8 format, yet maintaining it in 16mm format?

A: Kodachrome 16 mm represents an entirely different customer segment and processing dynamic. It has not encountered the same marketplace challenges as our Kodachrome S8 product line.

If the Super-8 Kodachrome is cut from 16mm Kodachrome, that would actually help stabilize the 16mm Kodachrome business for years to come.

One primary question then becomes can a 16mm Kodachrome processor also be modified to process Super-8.