Infinite space background

Hello,

I'm preparing to shoot a music video.

I have an idea for a shot where you can see infinite space behind the object filled with colored or colorless mist.

The reference shot is from the new Bladerunner trailer.

My goal is to place a car on the foreground like it's in the middle of nowhere.

Most of the shots will be inside the car but I need to sustain this look in the windows without green screen.

How I can achieve that on a tight budget?

Would it be easier to accomplish shooting outside or indoors? With dark or light background?

Many thanks in advance!

post-72985-0-19706900-1499611014_thumb.jpg

post-72985-0-89386900-1499611035_thumb.jpg

Could be done in front of a large white cyclorama with rather dense fog. You can try backlighting it with rows of PAR64 or Jumbos.

Might be also possible in a warehouse-like space without windows, but it will require more even and powerful backlight to hide the unwanted background behind overexposed fog.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Easier to accomplish inside.

If you're planning on using colored/colorless mist, then fog/haze is your secret sauce.

I wrote a short piece on developing this look for a fog scene here: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=70937&p=477755

Same idea can be applied, but with no pool. I even did exactly what you described on a feature just recently using the above method with a car in a small warehouse.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 2:54 PM, AJ Young said:

Easier to accomplish inside.

If you're planning on using colored/colorless mist, then fog/haze is your secret sauce.

I wrote a short piece on developing this look for a fog scene here: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=70937&p=477755

Same idea can be applied, but with no pool. I even did exactly what you described on a feature just recently using the above method with a car in a small warehouse.

Great tips, thanks for this AJ.

I used this technique in a recent music video.