On the Bolex, people used to get very excited about an expensive wide angle lens that had a 10mm focal length but again it was rare and expensive.....

Freya

Hey Freya,

Down here in Neuvelle Zealandia, when artists, experimentals and indies were using old Bolexs in the 80s, 90s, the 10mm Switar was not really so rare or expensive. Plenty floating around used and available. One might buy lenses with a camera, otherwise just borrow them from friends. Maybe it was different in the other activity nodes on the planet. It is a long running social defect on the forum that one assumes the local particulars to be global, universal.

Hey Freya,

Down here in Neuvelle Zealandia, when artists, experimentals and indies were using old Bolexs in the 80s, 90s, the 10mm Switar was not really so rare or expensive. Plenty floating around used and available. One might buy lenses with a camera, otherwise just borrow them from friends. Maybe it was different in the other activity nodes on the planet. It is a long running social defect on the forum that one assumes the local particulars to be global, universal.

I took a peek on e-bay and you are right the 10mm isn't that rare at all, although these days it would certainly appear to be quite expensive and back in the day I couldn't even afford a Bolex let alone the lenses but it sounds like there was a great scene in New Zealand with people lending each other lenses and everything! It's nice to hear another perspective on things.

My point though was more that while there were some much wider focal lengths available for the Bolex they were rare on other 16mm cameras like the filmo. The side finder on the filmo used to max out at 16mm in fact.

I wasn't assuming the particulars to be global so much but I'm in Europe like the orignal poster.