Kodak, GQ & Super 8

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

Does YouTube deliver differently in Europe and in the US? I watched the vid repeatedly but could not make out the slightest reference to Kodak or Super-8. I mean, Cara does look nice. Will?

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I watched the vid repeatedly but could not make out the slightest reference to Kodak or Super-8. I mean, Cara does look nice. Will?

Watching it several more times would probably be good professional research. ;)

I also received the email from Kodak with a subject line that read: "Sci-Fi meets Super 8 with Cara Delevingne" I was very disappointed with the film that I reply right away letting them know my feelings, and hopping they change the way they use and promote this camera.

Here is what I said in my email:

Hello,

My name is Moises Perez, a.k.a. MOY. I'm a Super 8 filmmaker. I just want to say that I'm very disappointed with all the footage I've seen so far from this "NEW CAMERA" And specially with this Cara Delevingne's Sci-Fi footage because it looks just OUT OF FOCUS. I hope this was an artistic choice rather than the lack of cinematography skills, or even worst, I hope this is not the camera's inability to focus an image correctly. If so, you guys need to correct this issue before the release of the camera to the public. This problem, in my opinion, would kill the Super 8mm film market and specially this great opportunity of developing a brand new camera for this great film format.

I also hope to get an answer from you.
Sincerely,

MOY

I must say that they haven't yet responded to me.

I agree. Not that inspiring cinematography either. I wonder where and on what the transfer was done??

I can't remember the name of the transfer house. It was a low budget transfer house in London. It's not great which I'm sure is what you are implying but they normally get some quite good results considering. Personally I wouldn't want to shoot colour neg and then cheap out on the transfer but I might feel different about Tri-X! ;)

The big problem with this footage however is the first bit of your post. It really is quite badly shot and thrown together. The edit isn't especially cut to the soundtrack unless it's a sync problem on my netbook and the framing is generally poor. The should have been more daring and gone wide more too.

Anyway I think it's okay but a bit of a missed opportunity what with the robot stuff.

It could have been something more for sure.

Freya

Nothing wrong with it. I like s8 as s8. I wouldn't try to replicate 16 with s8. I would shoot it for its own aesthetics.

I also really like Super8. I like the fact it is somewhat different. I really like different looks in films and being able to create a different feel through different formats and cameras, as well as filmstock and lenses etc.

I'd actually rather shoot Tri-X in Super8 than 16mm to really make it more grainy and punk looking. I feel that shooting in Super8 is embracing the strength of that stock in a way....

I also really like Super8. I like the fact it is somewhat different. I really like different looks in films and being able to create a different feel through different formats and cameras, as well as filmstock and lenses etc.

I'd actually rather shoot Tri-X in Super8 than 16mm to really make it more grainy and punk looking. I feel that shooting in Super8 is embracing the strength of that stock in a way....

Freya Amen sister !

I really cannot understand why Kodak hasn't asked some folks who shoot a lot of 8mm to take the camera and make something impressive. Give them the camera and a boatload of free film.

No question I could do something fantastic with that camera were I given the chance. WTH is Kodak doing?

No question I could do something fantastic with that camera were I given the chance. WTH is Kodak doing?

That's all I need to know.. is what will I do with it. Only concerned with my own focus, exposure, and grading. I think they are actually trying to show off the rough aesthetic because realistically It looks like what most chippies are shooting. Folks who are already experienced enough to squeeze the format to the max are probably the minority among the market they are trying to tap. We will squeeze it anyway because we already know we can. If they start showboating beyond what beginners can expect at first, beginners may feel like they've been duped if they fall short at first.