DJI Focus

Hi all,

I have had a DJI Focus for a bit over a year – I've had to have motors replaced 3 times so far.
I bought two motors in case of problems, and I'm glad I did. But while DJI turn around the repairs, I only have one so no backup if it fails onset.
This last time I spoke to DJI, one of their representatives let the cat out of the bag. I mentioned that it was a problem that kept happening, and I asked if DJI were planning to improve the motors rather than keep sending me the same replacements, prone to the same flaws. This was their response:
"We are sorry for the trouble. Please kindly understand the below points so that to use it properly in the future.
1. Focus's motor is very weak, so any jam would cause this issue."
I was shocked. I knew that the motor wasn't great – I don't use it with full-on pro lenses, but it's been used on 16mm Superspeeds and the like.
Nothing too tough – when I asked the DJI representative for clarification on his statement, he finally said:
"I am sorry, but I am not in the position to give comment on the Focus officially."
Well, unofficially he's said more than enough.
I would recommend anyone avoid the DJI Focus unless it's just on DSLR type lenses, it should fare ok on a stills lens.
Otherwise you're in for months of returns...
I'd love to get a refund but I'm long beyond that. If DJI are reading, please a) fix this with an improved motor and b) can I have one of the upgrades when you do.
Thanks
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

As Brenton said. Its not worth it at all. Got a lot of problems with this Unit. Instead of the DJI take a look at a german company called Chrosziel. They have a model for lightweight setups, Chorsziel Magnum Mini. It works just wonderful with his CDM-100 motor, and got no problem moving small primes like LDS or Standard Speeds, even with heavy lenses like Anamorphics Hawk V-Lite or Cooke S/i.

• 1 month later...

All resolved with DJI, torque settings were incorrect! They replaced the motor

Davo, have you had any issues with the focus motor since it was replaced? These motors are available at such an attractive price point, but I've heard nothing but bad reviews.

I'm really interested to find out if you have the same issues even after their replacements and settings adjustments.