Has anyone ever tried Vita Film for VS...what were your experiences?

I have a 1940's 16mm with a case of VS. Film has not deteriorated to the point of warping, but it has a strong vinegar smell. I figured it is a good candidate for the Vita Film test. Was wondering if anyone has used Vita Film for VS. If so, what were your experiences?

Although I have not tried VF as yet, I figured if VF will melt plastic, good chance it will take the paint off the reels and cans. So first thing I did was to buy metal reels and cans with no paint. (I cleaned up a spot on an old reel with an alcohol swab and it removed the paint!)

Will see how it goes.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Forgot to add...

Here are some photos of VS:

https://danieldteolijrarchivalcollection.wordpress.com/2017/08/11/film-is-not-as-archival-as-it-was-hoped-to-be/

Cold storage can halt VS deterioration, but it does not cure it.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member

The only way I know how to help stop vinegar syndrome is to cold store it. Usually a freezer first for a considerable amount of time and then no greater then 50 degree's thus after.

There are no other "solutions" that can actually help it. Because the emulsion is so fragile during this phase of a films life, you can't really do anything that may damage it. Unwinding it very slowly may help a bit, but there is a high risk of it sticking to itself and destroying itself. I'd freeze it first and then try unwinding.