Rokinon lenses - Sony mount

It's a good option to buy a set ok Rokinon lenses with the Sony E mount? Cause I'm buying a Sony Alpha A7R ...

Do you know if in the future, you can modify the sony mount to a Canon mount for ex? or you are stuck to use Sony for ever with these lenses cause of the Sonymount?

I have a friend who bought a Rokinon cine prime for his Sony NEX-5. He is upgrading to a better camera and has discovered there are virtually no lens mounts which enable E-mount glass to go on something else for some reason. So buying e-mount glass is not a future proofed plan.

That is unless E-mount has a secondary name I'm not aware of...

Edited by Macks Fiiod

• Premium Member

Nikon mount on the lenses is among the most versatile ones if you want a lens set which is compatible with as many camera models as possible.

It can be adapted very easily to for example Canon EF, Micro4/3, E-mount, C-mount, etc. and you can use it natively with Nikon cameras or even certain NikonF adapted film movie cameras (for example adapted Arri 2C , Eclair Cameflex, Arri 35-3) .

Nikon F also generally has better quality mounts with less tolerances and play compared to EF mount and it is much sturdier than M4/3 or E-mount.

Adapters may have slight tolerances so you may need to shim and adjust them a little to enable absolutely correct FFD with the camera so that the distance markings will be correct.
Samyang/Rokinon lenses themselves, by my experience, have so bad quality calibrating/wide tolerances though that you may need shimming anyway to be able to use them in any kind of production environment, especially the wide angles where FFD is more critical

• Premium Member

generally it is always best to have the Longest FFD and Smallest Diameter mount possible on the lens side so that you will have as many adapting choices as possible.

For example, NikonF is much better than CanonEF because it has longer FFD and smaller diameter so that it can be very easily adapted to EF mount camera (EF mount lens is NOT possible to adapt to a NikonF mount camera because of the much larger diameter and longer ffd)