Hannah Getz

I'll be traveling from LA to Berlin, Zurich, and then back to LA and I was curious if y'all could tell me about the restrictions/regulations of traveling with gear. I'm trying to put together a small camera package that can be put in to the overhead compartment, I know there's some business with lithium ion batteries so that's definitely a concern. Also, any recommendations for cameras of the 4K variety that are compact would be amazing. Thank you in advance!

Edited by Hannah Getz

I've travelled with a variety of gear, and haven't had any issues so far. The airlines are so used to people travelling with all kinds of weird stuff, that they have routines for all of this. Cinema cameras and Pelicases will have to be checked in, but I usually bring my smaller system camera with me in my hand luggage. No issues with batteries for drones or big cameras so far.

Yeah, I'll definitely be taking a more portable camera, but I suppose my biggest concern is having a compact package: body, lenses (though it may just end up being a zoom), support, and possibly a couple lil photo stands and 1x1 LED panels. I'm also curious what I should carry on and what can safely be checked. This is obviously my first time doing this so I want to make sure I have it all locked down so I don't encounter any surprises on the day. Another note: I'll be going to one country and then flying to another on a smaller airline. I have no idea how any of this works haha.

• Premium Member

you could try some mirrorless like gh5/gh4/a7s2 with couple of lenses and a photo tripod /lightweight video tripod +shoulder set. if you are doing interviews etc. you will need a separate audio recorder and also a small on camera mic like rode videomic or similar. the small audio recorder and the mics needed if doing interviews and stuff. if using wireless mics you need to check the local regulations for frequencies which are legal to use, they vary from country to country (you may accidentally interfere with the local military frequencies for example :ph34r: )

The lithium battery rule is pretty serious .. if you try to check in lithium batts and get caught its a very big fine.. and possibly a criminal offense .. check with your airline before..

As I know it.. no lithium battery can be in the hold/checkin.. any battery over 150 or 160 AH (cant remember exactly ) cant go on a plane full stop..(unless freight and special packaging).. over 100 and below 150/160 AH .. one can be on the camera and 2 spares.. (some airports have told me the one on the camera is not included as its not internal, but so far I have talked my way out of that).. under 100AH as many as the weight restrictions for cabin or what ever the airline limit is.. best to tape over the terminals and put each one in a plastic bag..

Check with your airline before strongly advised .. !! its the biggest hassle flying now.. alot of the security staff don't have a clue.. down load and print out the official doc to show them..