Arri S60C Skypanel Output & Advice

Marz Miller

Hey all,

I'm shooting a music video soon that involves a lot of colored backgrounds.

The directors biggest reference is this:

(The music video is literally just a copy, so the video roughly shows the size of our shots as well)

I'm almost positive the reference video used colored seamless for their backgrounds but I was hoping to you use a series of S60Cs to light a white cyc behind talent. I figured it would be quicker and easier to change color via wireless DMX rather than swapping out seamlesses all day. We also will have the chance to do some effects if we want to.

I also wanted to a chance to use Skypanels since I haven't had the opportunity yet.

My concern is the output of Skypanels at high saturation, production can only afford 3-4 Skypanels and I'm not sure they will cut it, the talent is on raised pedestal/lazy susan thing so falloff as the cyc curves at the bottom is now only a minor concern. I also feel that running up against low output I'll have less separation possible between talent and the cyc, a bit of contamination is okay but not really much more than what you'd get from reflected light of a seamless.

Do you think I should just use some seamless and not waste the money on the Skypanels? Or will they even have enough output to begin with...I'm torn.

- M

Skypanels are but one color-changing tool. As soon as you say "dmx" you open pandora's box in terms of options. Skypanels are basically fancy zips, and some people indeed wash cycs with ziplights. But there are also plenty of "entertainment" fixtures that can do everything you want easier and significantly cheaper. Part of the cost of the sky panel is the built-in calibration. When you dial it to 3200k its relatively close to 3200k and with good color fidelity. An entertainment fixture may or may not have a preset for 3200k and may or may not have color fidelity for skin tones. BUT it may also have a lot more power or other features like zoom or movement, and may also cost less.

For example - I often rent Robe Robin LED 600 Wash lights, and 4x of them are cheaper than 1x sky panel 60 at my rental house. The robes are moving lights with 15-60deg zooms. Roughly the same power and significantly more output when zoomed-in. If you can't place and aim them well enough in the first place, you can sit at your board and move and blend till you're good. But that's just one example - color blasts, color blazes, TRX, spectracycs - all ubiquitous at touring rental shops like 4wall or VER, and significantly cheaper than sky panels. A single color blaze72 is 6' wide. 2 can do what you want with plenty of power. 4 can do it even better - and again - 4x color blaze 72 are significantly cheaper than 1x sky panel.

Now I do love the skypanel, BUT I find that a lot of times its used because it's a familiar brand and a popular item - not because it's necessarily the best or only way to do the job. For simple cyc wash on a budget, make some calls to touring/concert/event lighting shops and see what you can find because all of the high-end stuff is flicker free and you may be blown away by what is available in that world in terms of featured and performance for the price.

• Upvote 3