Nizo 801 with Vision 50D, what settings?

david richardson

Hello I was wondering if anybody had any advice on this combination. Should I leave the filter at sunlight, I had a blue negative in the past, but I think that was from tungsten film.. Also any advice on external meter usage, would I have to make changes to it, keep it at 50 or rate it at a different iso?

Thanks for looking

Edited by david richardson

Rate it at at 25 to compensate for lifht loss in camera. While looking through the lens with a bright light shining in from the film compartment push the lever that pushes the filter in and out to make sure that the filter is out. Usually this is on the indoor setting. Putting it on the indoor setting will disengage the filter which you always want to do. Those filters are old and will degrade your image. The filter is only for use with tungsten film. You'll be shooting the daylight film and do not need it anyway.

With my Nizo 801, I don't think I've shot 50D but I've shot 200T autoexposure and even 500T autoexposure and it's been fine. The Nizo 801 is a great constrasty and SHARP camera. Tri-X in that baby is like 16mm quality. The cart will disengage the filter anyways. But I'd say keep it on Daylight since sometimes that will affect how the camera exposes things like with Tri-X carts. You'll probably have to do some color correction no matter what in the end.

Any color outdoor shots on this film were shot on Vision3 200T and Nizo 801 on autoexposure. 50D should be much finer grained.

This was Nizo 801 with 500T on autoexposure (which means it was metering at 160T)

Basically... you should be fine. Just shoot!

The Nizo 01 models are different most other cameras when it comes to the filter switch. Set it on Daylight for 50D. The cart is not notched so will kick out the daylight filter automatically. The filter switch will only change the exposure rating at this point. Daylight setting will rate it at 40ASA (1/3rd over exposed which is good), and Tungston setting will rate the film at 64ASA (1/3rd under exposed, not as good). With color negative S8 film, you always want to lean toward over exposure. A little over exposure can add some density which make the colors pop more and tighten up the grain structure.