Replacing foam light seals in Super-8/Single-8 cameras

Samuel Berger

Hi there,

The foam light seals inside my ZC-1000 have turned to black granules. How hard would it be to fix that myself?

Also, I need to clean the edges of the mirror. Any caveats? I know that in older Eclairs you're supposed to never touch the mirror with anything...

• Premium Member

You can buy self-adhesive foam light seals, try google for a local seller. Easy to cut to fit the gap.

Reflex camera mirrors are front surface, so very easy to scratch, but if you're careful with a tissue and some isopropyl alcohol you should be able to clean it without scratching.. use one tissue per wipe.

Thanks Dom, it can't be that difficult to replace, even though some of the foam is shaped like a circle. I'll have to get a caliper out and see how many millimeters thick it is.

I haven't used the ZC-1000 in over a decade. Hopefully it all runs well. I also hope the dirty edges on the mirror won't be in frame in the film. I've just purchased some of that Cinevia 100D Single-8 and it wasn't really that cheap.

It's funny how much a person's life can change in a decade. It feels good being able to get back into 8mm film after so much has changed.