Bolex is slowing or comes to stop... why?

Arthur Sanchez

• Premium Member

Well dried up lubricants don't help but also I think sometimes just wear to the gear bushings displaces gears and adds drag that makes the the whole mechanism harder to turn. The spring only has so much energy to drive it and it slows down early. You can clean, relubricate and adjust everything as best you can, even replace the spring, and it still slows down because the mechanism plates need replacing.

• 4 weeks later...

Dom... Could you please tell me how to adjust/reset the Over-Wind Stop mechanism... I've recently lost 2 cameras I think due to some spring issue... In both cases... while holding in my hands... the spring exploded inside and I could hear it coming unwound.

thank you

Arthur!

• Premium Member

Could you please tell me how to adjust/reset the Over-Wind Stop mechanism... I've recently lost 2 cameras I think due to some spring issue... In both cases... while holding in my hands... the spring exploded inside and I could hear it coming unwound.

When that happens the spring either broke or got unhooked from the stud in the barrel. Maybe, alright—, maybe somebody had tinkered with the camera and removed the spring stop or pretensioned the spring too far. Correct pretensioning of the spring is a tech job in my humble opinion.

• Premium Member

Do you have the relevant Bolex service manual Arthur? The correct procedure for spring wind setting is described, among other important procedures, as well as part numbers if you need to order replacement parts. I really don't think you can properly check or service Bolexes without one.

On older Bolexes the motor had its own limit gearing incorporated, with newer models the limit gears are external and need to be disengaged from the motor so it can be fully wound down before you can separate the mechanism plates. When resetting, the limit is set one motor revolution down from fully wound.