Who's got an Aaton XTR for me?

Samuel Berger

I confess I'm fairly confused as to the cost of these cameras. I've seen all sorts of prices for them. So maybe it's not as expensive as I had thought.

Who's got one for sale and for how much? I briefly considered an Arri SR3 but they're supposedly too noisy.

• Premium Member

So here is a rough price guide for you.

SR1's and SRII's standard 16 cameras in good working order with magazines, but no batteries, generally go for between $1500 - $2500 on ebay. The good news is that the SR1 and SRII are both 12v cameras, so supplying power is easy, but neither one was made Super 16. So any version you'll see that's S16 has been "modded" which is a risk because who knows how good the mod is.

The Aaton LTR's are also standard 16 cameras in stock form, but MANY of them were modified by Abel cine and Aaton to Super 16. Good working standard 16 LTR's are around $1000, but Super 16 models price upwards of $2000 - $3000 depending on accessories.

SR3's have a great deal of value, but they have TWO MAJOR HICCUPS... they're 24v, making portable battery solutions more costly and they can't take standard 35mm glass because most lenses hit the viewfinder. SR3's go for around $3000 - $5000 depending on condition and are very good cameras.

There are actually 4 variations of XTR, you can always identify them through the big silver wheel on the side of the magazine which is the "mag drive" as ALL XTR's are mag drive. The XTR's are also Standard 16 and Super 16 like the SR3's. The first three generations of XTR's generally go for around $2500 - $3000. The last generation, or XTR Prod + which has the better video tap, shutter angle adjustment and is much more efficient on batteries, it goes for around $3000 - $5000 just like the SR3's. Though I will admit, very few of them actually sell for 5k, people do try to get that much for them as they're the "final" version.

Where I do think the Arri SR3 is a better made camera then the XTR, the Arri's in my experience have needed more maintenance and parts are also more costly in a lot of cases. The XTR is also a lighter and quieter camera that runs on 12v making power solutions very inexpensive. In fact, the little NP1 battery solution I use on my Aaton's works great and you can get adaptors for cheap money. Also, the XTR can use pretty much any glass as long as the rear element doesn't hit the mirror.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tyler, this seems to be in line with what my research has brought up. I don't really find the Arris very attractive and if I own a camera, I want to have an emotional attachment to it. I'm not saying I can't warm up to them if I own one but they're not my first choice.

There was one fellow on here selling his PROD and the price wasn't bad but he's in the Eastern Bloc somewhere and I think another guy has one in Peru. Too much can go wrong. There's one in Sweden that you pointed out the other day going for an astronomical price which only makes sense in Sweden where everything is expensive anyway since they have all those welfare programs to support with their tax money. ;-)

In the end I guess it's a matter of waiting, there have been several XTR Prod packages from sale over here and I was never in the market for one until now. Many of those sold at a very reasonable, fair price.

I just wish there was one out now.

The one in sweeden came with glass! It was a killer deal.

That dude is still trying to sell it. Unfortunately he wants crazy money just because of the Canon 8-64mm f2.4 MkII that comes with it. That zoom was used for The Hurt Locker but vignettes in some digital camera sensors.

Anyway, waiting to see if anyone wants to sell an XTR.

Are you using yours, Tyler?

• Premium Member

Are you using yours, Tyler?

I rent my cameras, so all three of my cameras are out on rental most of the time.

I also prefer to shoot 35mm because I can get the film for next to nothing and you can get away with using old film and still get a decent image.

I can't think of a day where I'd sell my XTR package, it's too nice. Got every accessory outside of a magnifying viewfinder extension and timecode generator, neither of which are something I care much about.

Ohh and that Canon zoom is MONEY! I want one of those so badly, it's a beautiful lens and worth around $3k used.

The Herman guy in Europe says the XTR Prod kit he's selling is going for 5300 Euros ($6250) which is completely insane. I'm glad I don't live over there.

If anyone's selling an XTR around $3000 let me know.

Edited by Samuel Berger

The Herman guy in Europe says the XTR Prod kit he's selling is going for 5300 Euros ($6250) which is completely insane. I'm glad I don't live over there.

It's bad form to criticise a fellow poster's prices here, especially someone who pays for this forum.

You have no idea why the price is higher. There could be any number of reasons. Your expectations may be unrealistic.

And as to concluding that you're glad you don't live somewhere because one price quote for a piece of equipment. doesn't suit you, that's just plain absurd. The Netherlands is a great place- friendly, safe, hospitable, cyclable.

BTW "Europe" isn't a country. Herman's place of residence is clearly stated on his post.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 2

It's bad form to criticise a fellow poster's prices here, especially someone who pays for this forum.

You have no idea why the price is higher. There could be any number of reasons. Your expectations may be unrealistic.

And as to concluding that you're glad you don't live somewhere because one price quote for a piece of equipment. doesn't suit you, that's just plain absurd. The Netherlands is a great place- friendly, safe, hospitable, cyclable.

BTW "Europe" isn't a country. Herman's place of residence is clearly stated on his post.

See? You Euros don't even believe in freedom of speech. ;-)

Anyway, no, it's not bad form to say "Hey, this price is ridiculous, man, maybe over there in your neck of the woods it makes sense but not here." As a Jew it's my right to haggle, stop being anti-semitic. I hear it's illegal over there.

Edited by Samuel Berger
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The pricing is going up... it's not going down. There are fewer and fewer of these cameras available for sale these days, but the demand is increasing not decreasing.

Where I do think $6200 is a lot for an XTR Prod +, it's not far off.

The pricing is going up... it's not going down. There are fewer and fewer of these cameras available for sale these days, but the demand is increasing not decreasing.

Where I do think $6200 is a lot for an XTR Prod +, it's not far off.

I can't agree with you this time, Tyler. The other dude over in Sweden was selling for about the same price and had killer glass to go with it, like $2000 worth of glass.

Hey man what do you think of the S16 LTR? I see those for $2000 from time to time. You mentioned them above, but what's your opinion?

Edited by Samuel Berger

• Premium Member

I can't agree with you this time, Tyler. The other dude over in Sweden was selling for about the same price and had killer glass to go with it, like $2000 worth of glass.

Hey man what do you think of the S16 LTR? I see those for $2000 from time to time. You mentioned them above, but what's your opinion?

XTR Prod + is worth $5k. So $6200 ain't far off.

The guy in Sweden has the best deal I've seen in years, it's truly amazing and if it were in the US, it would be long sold.

Super 16 LTR is fine, no problems IF the conversion was done right. So again, like the SR's, it's a shot in the dark. My LTR was converted right, but I've seen some on ebay that weren't.

If you wanna send me pix/links to potential cameras, I'd be more then happy to look at them for you.

XTR Prod + is worth $5k. So $6200 ain't far off.

The guy in Sweden has the best deal I've seen in years, it's truly amazing and if it were in the US, it would be long sold.

Super 16 LTR is fine, no problems IF the conversion was done right. So again, like the SR's, it's a shot in the dark. My LTR was converted right, but I've seen some on ebay that weren't.

If you wanna send me pix/links to potential cameras, I'd be more then happy to look at them for you.

Thanks, man, nice of ya to offer. Hey maybe you can sell me your LTR, hehe.

• Premium Member

Thanks, man, nice of ya to offer. Hey maybe you can sell me your LTR, hehe.

Already sold my LTR... got $3k for it with accessories. Only sold it because I found it increasingly difficult to deal with the lame video tap, stock battery system and most importantly lack of a PL mount. Most of those older cameras are "aaton" mount, which adapts to everything BUT PL.

The XTR's efficiency really helps. Now one NP1 5AH battery lasts a full day with the tap on AND monitor plugged in. Plus the hard PL mount is so critical, especially for rentals.

Heya' Sam,

I have my XTR kit available for $4K (..the "too much can go wrong" one in Peru)
Moved here from Belgium (Europe) not that long ago. It's a good kit. Just not seeing much use. I'm open to a bit of haggling, especially if I am going to be shipping it out - I know i'm not in the closest/easiest spot, but still.. they have fedex, dHl, and such..