OPTICS UPGRADE for Bolex REX 6X to 10X-PLUS Viewfinder

Arthur Sanchez

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Arthur Sanchez said:

I've been busy experimenting with optics lately and have come across a method to get a little more than 10X viewer form a 6X viewer. This what is what I go...

post-71166-0-45839100-1508340805_thumb.jpg

Hi Arthur -- I've seen your work and posts before in the Film Camera Repair Directory too, wonderful stuff! Can you share the details on how you worked this magic? I'm assuming you added a diopter into the finder? I'd bookmarked at least one other person trying something like this from Jan-Eric Nyström's now-defunct page on hand-modifying Bolexes to Super 16. He hot glues a small lens in place inside:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120123185702/http://www.sci.fi/~animato/s16/s16.html

I have to CLA a bunch of ancient Bolexes over this summer before our students use them in the Fall, and a lot of the ones we have are equipped with rather ancient finders (especially the non-reflex ones...) that could really benefit from some more magnification. The other idea I've been playing with is just to attach a cheap viewfinder magnifier -- less than $5 apiece straight from China, and with an eyecup attached to boot! Though the one at the link below may be way too much magnification (2.8x):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-8X-3-V1-LCD-Viewfinder-Eyecup-Magnifier-Extender-Hood-for-Canon-5D-II-7D/293071188759

• 10 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 5:33 PM, Arthur Sanchez said:

I've been busy experimenting with optics lately and have come across a method to get a little more than 10X viewer form a 6X viewer. This what is what I go...

post-71166-0-45839100-1508340805_thumb.jpg

I'm also very curious about how you did the modification Arthur?

Hello Thomas,

Optics... I've come to the conclusion the it's simple VooDoo black magic... An understanding of the principles of light is essential.

I've found that it is a well kept secret, as I've yet to find a person that can do my optics. This is an early Ver. 1 of this attempt.

Do you do Optics?

• 1 year later...

Hi Arthur -- just wanted to write that this is still on my mind and project list. I spent an hour today with a kind optician on our campus (finally, some benefit to the humanities from teaching at a full-blown research institution!) pulling out an Octameter's lens elements and figuring out their diopter power on a Bausch & Lomb lensometer. It was a fruitful investigation but teaching has me extremely busy so I may have to shelve this 'til the Spring semester.