Orwo N74 negative

• Premium Member

Kodak’s D-76 (published in 1927) is one of many classic Metol-hydroquinone developers. Metol got more or less replaced by Phenidone due to its toxicity. There are so many formulae and reducing agents around now that it is all up to you to find out what suits you best. D-76 or ID-11 (identical) have been used for thousands of films, you can’t go wrong with it. Don’t worry so much, everything is fine.

• Premium Member

I personally mix my own developers for tests, for example a D76 style developer with the hydroquinone substituted with Vitamin C . This is especially because I need varying quantities at a time and the raw chemicals are easier to store than working solutions.

you have to have a good source for raw developing chemicals of course. I also use hydroquinone on different self mixed formulas but are more vitaminC oriented generally.

generally you need for a developer, depending on the recipe:

sulphites (wine store sulphites can be used for example, it is cheap if you can find the right source) , vitaminC (relatively cheap if bought in larger quantities. I bought a 400g package from eBay for my tests, did not cost much, maybe 15-20e or so) .

Methol and hydroquinone can be purchased from a photo supply store or a b/w lab who wants to sell you some. compare the prices, they are not very expensive chemicals but for example some eBay sellers are asking 10x the normal price or more per gram...

You will also need either Sodium Carbonate or Borax for pH adjustment.

some formulas may require a small amount of Sodium or Potassium Bromide as well (photo supplier or b/w lab) . and some require Sodium Thiosulphate as well.

phenidone is generally relatively expensive compared to Methol etc. older chemicals, if you want to use phenidone in larger batches I suggest using x-tol or similar factory made phenidone developer.

technically you can make film developer from household items; food additives and such. for example Coffenol: instant coffee, crystal cleaning soda, vitaminC tablets... Or you can make Rodinal style developer from expired pain killers and lye based drain cleaner... the fixer is more economical to purchase as a factory made solution, ammonium thiosulphate is not economical to purchase in small quantities compared to factory mixed fixing solutions

• Premium Member

technically you can make film developer from household items; food additives and such. for example Coffenol: instant coffee, crystal cleaning soda, vitaminC tablets... Or you can make Rodinal style developer from expired pain killers and lye based drain cleaner...

for example:

"250 ml Red Beetroot juice

2 teaspoons of washing soda

1 teaspoon vitamin C "

http://www.caffenol.org/alternative-recipes/

• Premium Member

I knew that the UN 54 could be developed in both ways but you are sure that I can do the same with the N74, I have not found anything on Orwo or on the internet. According to you if I develop it in invertible how many ASA should I use it?

most B/W negatives can be developed reversal even if they are not advertised to be capable for that. you need to test the developer first though, if using a very heavy process (like the one on Ilford papers) you may experience emulsion separation or other damage (excessive swelling etc) .

Some reversal films, for example Fomapan reversal, cannot be developed as negative because of the silver "remjet" backing of the factory fresh film but some others can be alternatively developed as negative even if the stock is advertised as reversal film.

negative vs. reversal stocks are not fully similar in how they handle exposure when used with alternative process (negative for reversal, reversal for negative) because the reversal stock normally is optimised for reversal processing (different density image in 1st developing compared to similar negative film) but as said can be done on most films as long as you don't use totally wrong formulas on reversal process which damages the emulsion irrecoverably