Next Alexa Sensor update still S35?

Dominik Bauch

I'm guessing that someday Arri will update the Alexa ALEVIII sensor, Arri must be sick of the resolution technicality that makes Alexa exempt from Amazon and Netflix original content...

So if, purely to hit 'true' 4K, Arri release a new sensor, any thoughts on whether it will for sure be S35 or a kind of in between S35 and VV?

I'm guessing that there will always have to be 2 distinct sensor sizes due the the massive amount of S35 glass out there.

Reason I'm wondering all this is I'm interested in a couple of Optimo style zooms but they scare me a little as they vignette pretty badly on Alexa OG, so if a new sensor is any bigger, they will make very expensive paper weights....

• Premium Member

I really don't think Arri is chasing the Ks as many other companies are, and as for their Netflix etc origination I think their answer would be "we will gladly rent you out and Alexa65." At those budgets, it's almost a non-issue in terms of rental cost.

That said, when Arri does bring out a new 4K sensor; I would bet it'll be S35 because, well, that's the "regular" size and they already have a 65 for those large format people. I don't think they will, however, until they get a sensor which is at least as good, if not substantially better than what they currently have.

They're also not one to rush-- don't forget how long the Alexa was a prototype (D20/D21)