Ektachrome film in a music video

I saw the interview on kodak website and want to share, it has been a long time i'm not seeing Ektachrome stock shot on 35mm..Burning scene looking so mystical but youtube,vimeo compression awful..

https://www.kodak.com/us/en/motion/Blog/Blog_Post/?contentId=4295004403

post-69480-0-53896900-1509815619_thumb.jpgpost-69480-0-90491500-1509815631_thumb.jpg

Edited by fatih yıkar

• Premium Member

Neat, it's unfortunate he didn't have enough stock to shoot the entire video, that would have been killer! Now that Ektachrome is coming back to 16mm early next year, that's going to open the door I think for more stuff like this. I can't wait! :)

Neat, it's unfortunate he didn't have enough stock to shoot the entire video, that would have been killer! Now that Ektachrome is coming back to 16mm early next year, that's going to open the door I think for more stuff like this. I can't wait! :)

I will certainly be buying a ton of Ektachrome. This is because Kodak has tweaked its negatives to be "digital ready" rather than retain that film look and 35mm 4-perf looks a bit too clean now. The positive side is that 16mm negative now looks like 35mm from a few years ago.

• Premium Member

I thought Ektachrome was only coming back in 35mm ( stills ) and Super 8mm

I've been told Kodak is going to be bringing it back in Super 8 and 16mm.

They have 2 old (presumed to be super 8 and 16mm Ektachrome) and 2 "new" stocks coming out early 2018.

I've been told Kodak is going to be bringing it back in Super 8 and 16mm.

They have 2 old (presumed to be super 8 and 16mm Ektachrome) and 2 "new" stocks coming out early 2018.

I too thought it wasn't going to be in 16, but if you have been told this by Kodak ? that is very good news. My freezer supply is beginning to dwindle.

• Premium Member

I too thought it wasn't going to be in 16, but if you have been told this by Kodak ? that is very good news. My freezer supply is beginning to dwindle.

Yes, I've been told it's part of their game plan. Since they'll be cutting super 8 strips, why not cut 16mm?

Yes, I've been told it's part of their game plan. Since they'll be cutting super 8 strips, why not cut 16mm?

Tyler, i wonder do you know what type of Ektachrome stock wil back?

100D 5285,160D 5239 like used in 90s-00s or will it be more vintage stocks like 400D 7251,64D 5017,25T 7252 used in 70s-80s movies or maybe kodak will create new Ektachrome which we never seen before...

Hope that Ektachrome 160T 5239 will back ''Buffalo 66'' one of mine favorite, all movie look like a polaroid picture love that...

post-69480-0-71026900-1509919011_thumb.jpg

35mm 4-perf looks a bit too clean now. The positive side is that 16mm negative now looks like 35mm from a few years ago.

I was wondering about that lately - that with digital projection 2-perf and S16 are in some ways the new 4-perf. So maybe that makes 4-perf C-scope the new 65mm. Something along the lines of Ryan's Daughter, a big canvas with epic, huge shots of the Irish landscape and coast, and changing weather, would be great on 35mm today. What a dream to shoot a picture like that! Still, it would be even better shot on 65mm and projected in 70mm film, as was the original movie.

Edited by Jon O'Brien
  • Upvote 1

The grain in film has been greatly reduced, even from the previous iteration into the current Vision3.

post-10433-0-57737700-1510074723_thumb.jpg

In my upcoming project we're intermixing Ultra 16mm footage and 2-perf. I haven't run any tests yet but here's a video where someone else used 16mm and Vision3 50D.

(Click on the V to watch it larger)

Looks like a perfectly acceptable level of grain, and that's on a very dark set.

Compare to this frame shot by Tyler on 35mm:

on_sidewalk.jpg

There is grain on the frame but it's almost like digital in its cleanliness. That's where things are headed. Pretty soon you'll have to shoot on Super 8 for film to look like film. ;-)

To finish up, here's some 50D in Super 8. It's unbelievably beautiful.

Vision3 50 d shot with Bealieu 4008[/size]

Edited by Samuel Berger

• Premium Member

Honestly... I know it may sound blasphemous, but I don't much care for grain/noise in my images. So when you look at that exterior screenshot which comes from a 4k scan of 3 perf 35mm and it looks crisp, that's kinda what I was after. To me the "noise" isn't suppose to be there, it's a byproduct in my opinion, no different then digital noise.

Honestly... I know it may sound blasphemous, but I don't much care for grain/noise in my images. So when you look at that exterior screenshot which comes from a 4k scan of 3 perf 35mm and it looks crisp, that's kinda what I was after. To me the "noise" isn't suppose to be there, it's a byproduct in my opinion, no different then digital noise.

But Tyler, that's one of the things that makes film be film and gives it a sense of life.

Otherwise we're shooting Thundermans and I can't stand Thundermans.

874511-1.jpg