Cine zoom questions...

Dominik Bauch

I've used Angenieux Optimo Style Zooms on the past 3 projects and other than the amazing flexibility I've found the image to be very nice.

I'll probably get crucified for saying this but I honestly prefer what I've been seeing out of these image wise than many prime sets I've used; Cooke S4i, Leica Summicron C, Ultra primes, Speed Panchros etc...

Obviously speed is an issue at T2.8 but wide open I've had less issues with purple fringing etc than S4i's...

Cinematic image is most important for me, definitely trumps practicality but other than losing a stop and being slightly heavier than a prime lens; any aesthetic reasons why these are inferior to a good Prime lens?

I'm really tempted to get a couple of these as for the money, I could barely by 2 good prime lenses, plus I gain the tremendous practicality and speed that these offer but I want to make sure I'm not missing something....

I don't think any lens necessarily creates a 'cinematic image' - that's more down to lighting and composition. A prime lens will probably be sharper than the zoom, but most people seem to be looking for a softer look these days anyway. If you don't need the wider aperture of a fast prime set, then why not stick with what you like?

Totally agree r.e. lighting and composition. I just mean that I've been impressed with the color and contrast of the image I've been getting out of the zooms.

Wider aperture is nice for sure but most of the time, unless I'm using MP's or Summilux, the primes are around a T2, so I'm a stop slower with the Angies, which I can partially offset by raising the iso half a stop. Then there's not much difference other than the slightly shallower DOF I would get at a T2, and the closer minimum focus...

• Premium Member

I've used Angenieux Optimo Style Zooms on the past 3 projects and other than the amazing flexibility I've found the image to be very nice..

Cinematic image is most important for me, definitely trumps practicality but other than losing a stop and being slightly heavier than a prime lens; any aesthetic reasons why these are inferior to a good Prime lens?

Modern zooms like Angenieuxs are pretty close in image quality to good primes, but there's usually always some compromise to fit a whole range of focal lengths into one lens. The main aberration that zooms can't usually eliminate is distortion, so you'll find more barrel or pin-cushion distortion than you would in a comparable focal length prime. The Style series are a big step down from the Optimos in cost so they will have more compromises than those zooms, but they're still pretty amazing lenses, and if you like the image then that's what matters.

You're aware of the slower aperture and size/weight drawbacks, the only other potential issue I would add is that zooms require the back-focus and corresponding camera flange depth to be in tolerance in order to maintain focus through the zoom range. This can be pretty crucial if you are critically focussing at the long end and then zooming out to a wider angle. With a prime, if the back-focus or camera flange depth is off it just throws the lens focus marks a bit out, which is far less of an issue if only eye-focussing. As an owner operator all this means is that it's worth checking a zoom carefully before a job, especially if using it with a different camera.

In the long term, a zoom can develop wear that may impact image quality more than it would a prime, play in the zoom mechanics for instance that might cause focus drop-offs within the zoom range. It would normally cost a lot more to have a cine zoom overhauled than a prime, but then it probably costs less than having a whole set of primes overhauled, which is effectively what your zoom replaces.

I was out and about recently with a Bolex H16 in a public, touristy place. No one batted an eyelid. Probably just assumed it was a video camera. But it wasn't. It was **real** film. It was uber cool. I plan to do it again soon.